This module was designed for educator leaders to support the understanding of disciplinary literacy and the implementation of the Common Core State Standards for Literacy in All Subjects. You are encouraged to customize this module to meet the needs of your audience. No portions of this module may be altered, but may be reproduced or disseminated for non-profit, educational purposes without prior permission.
- Common Core State Standards & Career and Technical Education
- Building a House on Sand - Why Disciplinary Literacy is Not Sufficient to Replace General Strategies for Adolescent Learners Who Struggle
- Engineering Solutions to the National Crisis in Literacy: How to Make Good on the Promise of the Common Core State Standards
- Disciplinary Literacy is NOT the New Name for Content Area Reading
- Literacy Instruction in the Content Areas
- Interrogating Texts: 6 Reading Habits to Develop in Your First Year at Harvard
- Reading in the Disciplines: The Challenges of Adolescent Literacy
- Common Core State Standards for Literacy in All Subjects
- Elizabeth Birr Moje on “Disciplinary Literacy” and Reading Across the Content Areas
- Writing: Not Just for Language Arts
- What research is available on Disciplinary Literacy?
- Teaching Disciplinary Literacy to Adolescents: Rethinking Content-Area Literacy
- State Superintendent's Adolescent Literacy Plan
References Used in WAMPEN Video Series:
- Billmeyer, R. (2006). Srategies to engage the mind of the learner: Building strategic learners. Omaha, NE: Printco Graphics.
- Graham, S. & Perin, D. (2007). Writing next: Effective strategies to improve writing of adolescents in middle and high schools - A report to Carnegie Corporation of New York, Washington, DC: Alliance for Excellent Education.
- Marzano, R. (2004). Building background knowledge for academic success. Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.
- Turk, Ryan. (2013). Incoming freshmen are not prepared for college. Collegiate Times.
- Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (2013, July 17). Retrieved from dpi.wi.gov/common-core:dpi.wi.gov/standards/literacy-all-subjects.