By the end of grade eight, students will:
D.8.1 Develop their vocabulary and ability to use words, phrases, idioms, and various grammatical structures as a means of improving communication.
- Consult dictionaries, thesauruses, handbooks, and grammar texts when choosing words, phrases, and expressions for use in oral and written presentations
- Explain how writers and speakers choose words and use figurative language such as similes, metaphors, personification, hyperbole, and allusion to achieve specific effects
- Choose words purposefully and evaluate the use of words in communications designed to inform, explain, and persuade
D.8.2 Recognize and interpret various uses and adaptations of language in social, cultural, regional, and professional situations, and learn to be flexible and responsive in their use of English.
- Describe how American English is used in various public and private contexts, such as school, home, and work
- Make appropriate choices when speaking and writing, such as formal or informal language, considering the purpose and context of the communication
- Evaluate how audience and context affect the selection and use of words and phrases, including technical terms, slang, and jargon