By the end of grade four, students will:
E.4.1 Use computers to acquire, organize, analyze, and communicate information.
- Operate common computer hardware and software
- Use basic word-processing, graphics, and drawing programs
- Create, store, and retrieve electronic files
- Access information using electronic reference resources, such as library catalog, encyclopedias, almanacs, and indexes
- Generate, send, and retrieve electronic messages
E.4.2 Make informed judgments about media and products.
- Identify the intent or appeal behind products and messages promoted via media
- Recognize basic propaganda techniques
- Identify images and symbols central to particular messages
E.4.3 Create products appropriate to audience and purpose.
- Write news articles appropriate for familiar media
- Create simple advertising messages and graphics appropriate for familiar media
- Prepare, perform, and tape simple radio and television scripts
- Prepare and perform school announcements and program scripts
E.4.4 Demonstrate a working knowledge of media production and distribution.
- Make distinctions between messages presented on radio, television, and in print
- Recognize how messages are adjusted for different audiences
- Identify sales approaches and techniques aimed at children
E.4.5 Analyze and edit media work as appropriate to audience and purpose.
- Generate and edit media work as appropriate to audience and purpose, sequencing the presentation effectively and adding or deleting information as necessary to achieve desired effects
- Provide feedback to (and receive it from) peers about the content, organization, and overall effect of media work