By the end of grade eight, students will:
E.8.1 Use computers to acquire, organize, analyze, and communicate information.
- Demonstrate efficient word-processing skills
- Construct and use simple databases
- Use manuals and on-screen help in connection with computer applications
- Perform basic computer operations on various platforms
- Collect information from various on-line sources, such as web pages, news groups, and listservs
E.8.2 Make informed judgments about media and products.
- Recognize common structural features found in print and broadcast advertising
- Identify and explain the use of stereotypes and biases evident in various media
- Compare the effect of particular symbols and images seen in various media
- Develop criteria for selecting or avoiding specific broadcast programs and periodicals
E.8.3 Create media products appropriate to audience and purpose.
- Write informational articles that target audiences of a variety of publications
- Use desktop publishing to produce products such as brochures and newsletters designed for particular organizations and audiences
- Create video and audiotapes designed for particular audiences
E.8.4 Demonstrate a working knowledge of media production and distribution.
- Plan a promotion or campaign that involves broadcast and print media production and distribution
- Analyze how messages may be affected by financial factors such as sponsorship
- Identify advertising strategies and techniques aimed at teenagers
E.8.5 Analyze and edit media work as appropriate to audience and purpose.
- Revise media productions by adding, deleting, and adjusting the sequence and arrangement of information, images, or other content as necessary to improve focus, clarity, or effect
- Develop criteria for comprehensive feedback on the quality of media work and use it during production