Model Academic Standards - Other Local Indicators

Other Local Indicators

Why do schools use other local indicators to show that students are meeting the academic standards?

State assessments such as the Wisconsin Reading Comprehension Test, Wisconsin Knowledge and Concepts Tests, and Wisconsin High School Graduation Test provide valuable information regarding a student's progress toward meeting the standards. However, statewide assessments are limited in that they capture certain points in time. Determining whether students meet the Wisconsin Model Academic Standards is an on-going process. Teachers work with children on a daily basis-preparing lessons, providing instruction, and evaluating student progress. Using a variety of assessment methods closely linked to the standards and what is happening in the classroom is an important aspect of good instruction.

What are some of the methods used to evaluate student progress?

Unit tests are the most frequently thought of method for determining student progress at the classroom level; however, tests are not the only way. Homework assignments and quizzes are oftentimes used to evaluate progress. Projects, performances, speeches, oral reports, classroom participation, and displays demonstrate achievement in ways that cannot be captured by paper and pencil tasks and provide valuable information regarding how well students are applying the knowledge and skills that they are learning. In addition, teacher observation serves as a valuable tool in measuring accomplishment of the standards.

Why are so many different types of indicators needed?

Varying types of indicators are needed because they allow for a more accurate picture of student achievement to emerge. Students have different talents and, as such, need to have a variety of ways open to demonstrate their learning. The goal is for students to be able to demonstrate their achievement of the standards and to find the ways that most clearly permit that to happen.

How do I find out more about the local indicators used in my district or school?

If interested in finding out the types of indicators used in your district or school, please contact your child's teacher or building principal. Either of these individuals would be able to describe the types of indicators used to determine progress toward and achievement of the academic standards.

For questions about this information, contact Beverly Kniess (608) 266-3706