The following are license categories for Educator Licenses issued under Wis. Admin. Code PI 34:
Educator licenses issued under Wis. Admin. Code PI 34 are based on the following developmental levels:
|Developmental Levels||Age Ranges||Typical Corresponding Grades|
|Early Childhood (EC)||Birth – 8||PK – 3|
|Early Childhood through Middle Childhood (EC-MC)||Birth – 11||PK – 6|
|Middle Childhood through Early Adolescence (MC-EA)||6 – 12/13||1 – 8|
|Early Adolescence through Adolescence (EA-A)||10 – 21||5 – 12|
|Early Childhood through Adolescence (EC-A)||Birth – 21||PK – 12|
Educator licenses issued under Wis. Admin. Code PI 34 are based on the following license stages:
- Initial Educator License
Educators who completed an approved educator preparation program for the first time in a license category (Teaching, Administrator or Pupil Services) after August 31, 2004 will be issued an Initial Educator License for each license within that category.
- Professional Educator License
Professional Educator License may be issued for the following:
- Educators who successfully completed at least 3 years of the Initial Educator stage based on employment and successful completion of professional development plan.
- Educators who completed their approved educator preparation program prior to August 31, 2004 and are eligible to receive or renew their licenses before August 31, 2004.
- Educators who have completed five or more years of experience as a teacher, administrator, or pupil services professional in another state.
- Educators who hold Life Licenses.
- Master Educator License
This optional 10-year license may be issued to educators who successfully completed a National Board Certification by National Board of Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) or a Wisconsin Master Educator Assessment Process (WMEAP).
License Effective Dates
Initial Educator License and Professional Educator License are issued for a validity period of 5 years, with typical effective dates starting July 1 ending June 30.
If an applicant completes a state-approved program after September 1, the license may be issued with an effective date that corresponds with the program completion date. The license will be valid until June 30 following the fifth full school year.
A one-year non-renewable Initial Educator License may be issued to applicants who have not completed the requirements to advance to Professional Educator License.
A one-year non-renewable Professional Educator License may be issued to applicants who:
- Have not completed professional growth requirements to renew their 5-year professional educator license, or
- Have not been regularly employed in education for 5 consecutive years immediately preceding the application. This one-year license must be requested by employing school district.
Licenses Issued Prior to July 2004
Five-year educator licenses that were issued prior to Wis. Admin. Code PI 34 took effect in 2004 may have been issued for subject or position and/or grade level that are not listed under PI 34. Most of the 5-year educator licenses will be renewed as Professional Educator license for the subject or position and/or grade level as they were.
Some teaching licenses may be converted to a PI 34 subject and/or developmental level. For more information about license conversion, please see our License Conversion web page.