On June 30, 2013, through Act 20, Wisconsin Statute 115.28(59) allocated $1.1 million dollars of General Purpose Revenue (GPR) for 2014-15 in a new continuing appropriation by the legislature for implementing academic and career planning statewide.
- Requires DPI to ensure that, beginning in the 2017-18 school year, every school board is providing academic and career planning services to pupils enrolled in grades 6 to 12 in the school district.
- Requires DPI to procure, install, and maintain information technology, including computer software, to be used statewide by school districts to provide academic and career planning services to pupils in grades 6 to 12.
- Requires DPI to provide guidance, training, and technical assistance to school districts and school district staff, including teachers and counselors, on how to implement model academic and career plans, including training and technical assistance that is necessary to implement the information technology provided for this purpose.
- Requires DPI to promulgate rules to implement these provisions. [Act 20 Sections: 230 and 1737]
ACP Administrative Rule
Education for Employment was established in 1985 in response to the growing concern over the number of youth who failed to make a successful transition from school to postsecondary endeavors. s. 121.02 (1)(m), Wis. Stats., states that every school board shall provide access to an Education for Employment program. Chapter PI 26 as the administrative rule for this program. It was determined that rather than creating a new rule addressing ACP, the current PI26 would be updated and revised to include the required ACP components.
The ACP administrative rule was published on November 30, 2015. See the PI26 Planning Guidance for further assistance.
Posted District ACP Plans
Here are a few examples of district ACP plans to help with your ACP and PI 26 planning:
- Green Bay Area Public School District
- Luxemburg-Casco - highlights how ACP is a collaboration of stakeholders: students, parents, staff, and businesses.
- Milwaukee Public Schools - includes ACP for elementary grades
- Northwestern Maple School District - great video of their manufacturing products and a planning map.
- School District of New Berlin - includes ACP for elementary grades
- Solon Springs District - includes lessons 6-12 and their senior portfolio.
- Superior School District - includes ACP for elementary grades.