Click the links below to navigate to different sections of this page:
School Directory is OPEN for the 2023-24 school year
The Wisconsin School Directory (SD) is actually two separate applications:
- Wisconsin School Directory: Public Portal ~ viewable for the general public
- Wisconsin School Directory: Management Portal ~ viewable and editable only to authorized school staff
School Directory Management Portal allows districts, independent charter schools, and private schools to update the DPI database. The data entered into School Directory Management Portal then feeds the information viewable on the School Directory Public Portal.
Allowing LEAs access to School Directory Management Portal directly is more efficient than submitting changes on paper forms for the Department of Public Instruction (DPI) to enter. The following paper forms have been replaced since 2012-13:
PI-1201 Verification of Private Schools within Public School Districts
PI-1203 School District Statistical Report
PI-1280 Public School Update
PI-1281 Private School Update
As a digital 'form' of data collection, the information collected on School Directory is collected pursuant to Wis. Stat. § 115.30.
The applications are open year-round except for the month of August, and for a brief time in January, for data verification purposes.
Accessing School Directory PUBLIC PORTAL
Simply click the link or icon above to be redirected to the School Directory public application.
Accessing School Directory MANAGEMENT PORTAL via WISEhome
Click the link or icon above to access WISEhome. From there you will need to login either with your WAMS ID, or click 'Sign in with Google'.For more information on WISEhome login information, refer to the WISEhome Information page.
In WISEhome, click School Directory.
Click Log In to Application.
For districts only: The district information displays first. Click the Public Schools tab to view or change the school information.
Schools are required to update their information at the beginning of every school year.
These updates ensure that DPI has accurate information about Wisconsin schools. These updates are required from all public school districts, private schools, or charter schools that submit to WISEdata. If these updates are not made, it can result in validation messages, and lack of proper communication.
Changes must be made using the DPI School Directory (Management) application :
You must have the appropriate School Directory user role in order to make these updates. The role needed is "Directory Update" for the School Directory Management Portal. If you do not have this user role assigned to you, please request the user role using the WISEhome application. Instructions and a link to WISEhome can be found on the WISEhome and WISEsecure Login Information page.
- Address or location change (physical, mailing, and/or shipping address)
- District or school website URL
- First and Last Day of School (NOTE: Starting with the 2023-24 school year, this data will be collected from public schools in WISEdata Portal via the student information system (SIS) vendor tool. Visit the First Day of School/Last Day of School data element page for more detailed information.)
- High Grade and Low Grade (a/k/a grade range)
- Keep in mind that only Milwaukee School District utilizes the grade level K3. Other schools should use "PK" to refer to grades earlier than K4. Refer to the Grade Level data element page for more information
- Individual contact information (District Administrator, Choice Administrator, Principal, Special Education Director, Library Media Specialist, Business Manager, etc.)
- Kindergarten Info (public districts only)
- Main contact email address
Please note that if your school is participating in the Private School Choice Programs (Choice) or Special Needs Scholarship Program (SNSP), changes that impact those programs must be submitted using the update forms on the Choice or SNSP webpage. For example, changing the main contact email address through the form for the Directory will only change it for emails related to the Directory. That will not change the email address that is used for Choice program or SNSP correspondence.
Private School Choice Programs: School Submitted Reports and Forms webpage (managed by PEO Team)
Special Needs Scholarship Program-School Submitted Reports webpage (managed by PEO Team)
When reviewing the information stored in the School Directory application or on the WI School Directory - Private Schools webpage, you may notice information that is outdated for your private school.
A limited number of private school data elements can be updated through the school directory application and do not require a DPI review process, such as:
- School Director / School Administrator Name or Contact Information
- Private School Primary Contact Name or Contact Information
- Private School Phone Number, Email and Web Address
Other data elements, such as a private school address or adjusting the grades the private school serves, need to be analyzed by DPI as those changes may impact other programs in which the private school participates in that depend on that data. The Private School Data Element Update Request form allows the user to notify DPI of changes in:
- School Name
- School Address
- Grades Served
- School Type
If you are a private school/agency and have other questions, please submit a Help Ticket, and select School Directory - Enterprise from the application dropdown
Adding a New School / Closing an Existing School
- This must be done using the School Modification Form.
Public districts and Choice schools:
If you will be changing SIS (Student Information System) vendors please notify DPI by submitting a Help Ticket. Changing your SIS vendor will impact WISEdata reporting. The DPI Customer Services Team is happy to assist you with this process.
If you have questions, or experience any issues submitting the School Modification form, please submit a Help Ticket.
Didn't Find What You Needed?
The Customer Services Team is here to help!
Please submit a Help Ticket so we may better assist you.
Choose “School Directory - Enterprise” from the Application dropdown, and one of our dedicated support staff will reach out to you.