You are here

ECCP Frequently Asked Questions

Move quickly to the section you need by clicking below.


1. Can an ECCP application deadline be extended?
No. The deadlines for students to submit an application are written into state law. No extensions are permitted. ECCP application deadlines are as follows:

  • February 1 for summer courses
  • March 1 for fall courses
  • October 1 for spring courses

2. What should a student do if he/she wants to submit an ECCP application for a college that has not released the course schedule for the term they are applying for?
High school students should work with college advisors and high school counselors to assemble a list of proposed courses for districts to consider. Many times this list of courses can be based on the same term from the previous year. Students are also encouraged to list alternate courses.
Campus advisors are able to provide information on courses typically offered in the fall, spring, and summer sessions.

3. Do part-time students still qualify for ECCP?

4. Do home school students qualify for ECCP?
No. As described by the statute, "any public high school pupil who is not attending a technical college under s. 38.12 (14) or 118.15 (1) (b) and any high school pupil attending a private school may enroll in an institution of higher education for the purpose of taking one or more nonsectarian courses at the institution of higher education, including during a summer semester or session."

5. Can we include credits earned at a Wisconsin Technical College?
No. While technical colleges are not eligible institutions under the new program, pupils who have completed 10th grade will continue to have the option to take courses at technical colleges through a separate statute, 38.12(14). However, the state does not reimburse school districts or private schools for any portion of these credits.
The Wisconsin Technical College System offers more information on Start College Now and other dual credit options at the technical college level.

6. Are ALL dual enrollment courses offered by institutions within the University of Wisconsin System, a tribally controlled college, or a private, nonprofit institution of higher education located in the state included in ECCP?
Not necessarily. ECCP state aid is not available for tuition or costs associated with the courses taken by students as described under s.118.55 (10)(a)(b)(c), Wis. Stats.


7. Can a district consider additional criteria when evaluating an ECCP application (GPA minimum, up to date with graduation requirements etc.)
No. The state statute clearly defines that the only criteria to be considered is whether or not the school district or private school offers a comparable course.
However, the college or university will only accept students who have met any prerequisites and may consider the following to see if a student is ready to succeed in college classes:

  • Rank in class
  • Grade point average
  • ACT or SAT scores
  • Rigor of your high school courses
  • Letters of recommendation

8. If our school district or private school offers a comparable course, do we have to approve the course for ECCP?
No, if you offer a comparable course then you can deny the ECCP application. If at least 80 percent of the content covered in your course is similar to the ECCP course, it is considered comparable.
If a student wishes to take a course that you denied they can do so, but the student would be responsible for 100 percent of the tuition. In many cases, the college or university will ask the student to still use the ECCP application without the school district or private school approval section completed. The college or university should bill the student directly if it is not an approved ECCP course.

9. How do we decide if the ECCP course should be approved for high school and college credit or for college credit only?
If a school district does not offer a comparable course, and the ECCP course fulfills a graduation requirement, the student will earn both high school and college credit. In this case, the responsibility for tuition is as follows:

  • School district – 75%
  • State – 25%
  • Pupil – 0%

If a school district does not offer a comparable course, and the ECCP course does NOT fulfill a graduation requirement, the student can choose to earn college credit only. In this case, the responsibility for tuition is as follows:

  • School district - 25%
  • State – 50%
  • Pupil – 25% (The school board/private school must waive and pay the pupil's share of the tuition charge if it is determined that it would pose an undue financial burden on the student and their family, as determined by DPI administrative rule. Undue financial burden is indicated by a student’s free/reduced lunch status.)

10. How do we determine if an elective fulfills a graduation requirement?
This is a local decision that should be made in accordance with your district or school-specific requirements for graduation.
For example, if a student has already fulfilled all their social studies graduation requirements but wants to take an ECCP social studies course, it would be for college credit only since the course is no longer fulfilling a graduation requirement for the student.
Note, electives are also considered graduation requirements as they are required, in addition to specific courses, for graduation by the board. Therefore, if a student still needs elective credit to graduate then an elective ECCP course would fulfill a graduation requirement.


11. Does the course have to be listed on the high school transcript?
A district or school does not have to list an ECCP course that is taken for college credit-only on a student’s transcript. However, if the course is taken for both high school and college credit, then it needs to be listed on the high school transcript.

12. School district or private school are required to pay for a MINIMUM of 18 credits, but can a student take more than 18 college credits?
This is a local decision. A district may limit that number of credits for which it will pay to 18 but is not required to limit the number of credits.

13. Does the 18-credit minimum include Start College Now, or is this for ECCP credits in addition?
The 18-credit minimum would apply to ECCP and Start College Now or any combination of the two. However, the 18-credit minimum does NOT include transcripted credit.

14. Can a student enroll in an ECCP course and Start College Now during the same semester?


15. Are book purchases included in the ECCP reimbursement?
No. Only a percentage of the tuition paid can be reimbursed. Also, keep in mind that under s.118.55(5)(d)1. Wis. Stats. "neither the institution of higher education nor the school board nor the governing body may charge any additional costs or fees to a pupil to attend a course under this section." The statute does not specify who should cover the costs of books or other fees.

16. What information does my public school district or private school need to submit?
The reimbursement form has been designed to collect information for each institution of higher education (IHE) in which students in your district or school received ECCP credit during the current school year. For each IHE, you will need to provide:

  • The total number of students, total number of college credits, and the total amount of tuition your district or school paid for students who earned both high school and college credit.
  • The total number of students, total number of college credits, and the total amount of tuition your district or school paid for students who earned college credit only.

17. How much will our public school district or private school be reimbursed?
Public school districts or private schools will be reimbursed:

  • 25% of tuition paid for students who received high school AND college credit through ECCP.
  • 50% of tuition paid for students who received college credit only through ECCP.

If the total amount of claims exceeds the amount of funding appropriated, reimbursement payments will be prorated accordingly.

18. Is this different from the ECCP transportation reimbursement?
Yes. Students who qualify for free and reduced lunch can apply for reimbursement to cover the transportation costs associated with ECCP courses. Similar to ECCP tuition reimbursement, the transportation reimbursement window typically occurs from May 30 through July 15. For more information, go to DPI's open enrollment web page.

19. Will our public school district or private school be required to submit supporting invoices or receipts with the ECCP reimbursement form?
Public school districts and private schools will not be required to submit any supporting documentation with the form. However, you are required to keep a record of all student applications, invoices, and receipts related to the ECCP information you are submitting. Districts and private schools are also encouraged to keep documentation of a student’s successful completion of the ECCP courses you are submitting for reimbursement.

20. How long does the school district or private school need to retain the ECCP reimbursement documentation (invoices, receipts, student applications, etc.)?
Five years after the release of the audit period.

21. When will public school districts or private schools receive payment? How will payments be distributed?
Funds are typically distributed to school districts and private schools by early September through the Aids Banking system; however, various factors can delay payments.

22. My private school is not set up in the Aids Banking system. What should I do?

  1. You will need a DUNS number to set up your school in Aids Banking. To get a DUNS number, go to or call (866) 705-5711
  2. Request set-up in Aids Banking by providing the following information to or (608) 267-3161:
    • Agency name
    • Authorized contact name, email, and phone number
    • Agency address
    • FEIN
    • DUNS number

23. Since the reimbursements will not be distributed until after the end of the fiscal year, will districts need to record this reimbursement as an accrued receivable?
No. We will not be able to project if the funding for this reimbursement will be at 100 percent by June 30. Thus our opinion would be that you would not accrue a receivable during the current year as we cannot reasonably estimate the funding level.

24. What WUFAR coding should be used for this reimbursement payment?

The WUFAR coding will be:

  • SOURCE – 619
  • PROJECT 445
  • State ID#255.445

25. What online options are available for ECCP courses?
Many colleges and universities offer online or blended options.

UW Options
Initially, the UW system had limited online offerings. However, according to the Emergency Rule EMR1905 addressing the ECCP and promulgated changes to PI 40 clarifying aspects of the program, "All UW System institutions that offer college courses to high school students through the Early College Credit Program may choose to deliver those courses via an online, blended, or in-person format (PI 40.01 Definitions)."

In addition to online courses offered by individual UW campuses, there are two online options offered directly through the UW system that would qualify for ECCP:

Private Colleges and Universities Options
Many private colleges and universities also offer online options. You can see all ECCP offerings at a glance on this page: (Click on "Overview of Course Offerings.")

26. If a student fails an ECCP course, does the district still have to pay for the course?
The district can require the student or family to reimburse the district for 100 percent of tuition that was paid if the student does not complete the course or fails the course. If a student or family does NOT reimburse the district, then the district has the right to deny any future ECCP applications.

27. I am not familiar with ECCP. How can I find out more information?
Go to the Early College Credit Program page on the DPI website. In particular, you may find this ECCP Comparison Chart helpful.

For questions about this information, contact Karin Smith (608) 267-3161