You are here

2018 Filing Timeline

Timeline for Funding Year (FY) 2018


For purchases made between July 1, 2018, and June 30, 2019

October 2017 through mid-January 2018: File Form 470s

Form 470 is a public request for bids or quotations that are posted on the USAC site. You can file a Form 470 for the upcoming funding year as early as July 1 of the prior funding year.

January through mid-March 2016 (estimated) - File Form 471s

Form 471 is a request for funding for specific equipment and services at a specific price, based on the outcome of the Form 470 bid process. It cannot be filed until 28 days after the establishing Form 470 has been filed. The 471 filing window for FY 2018, which sets the first and last day that Form 471s can be filed, has not yet been set.

April 2018 until any time prior to funding notification: Submit RAL (if necessary)

A RAL (Receipt Acknowledgement Letter) lets you modify or cancel a funding request that you made in Form 471. This process is done through EPC. Once you have received an FCDL it is too late to modify the Form 471 request. (Thanks to Julie Tritt Schell of Pennsylvania for providing the information linked above.)

April 2018 through December 2018 - PIA Review

PIA (“Program Integrity Assurance”) reviews are requests for clarification or additional information about Form 471s. In most cases, once you have answered PIA’s questions you will be funded. In some cases, however, your funding request will be denied. In the 2016 funding year, 88% of all applications were funded, and 12% were denied.

April 2018 through December 2018 - FCDLs Issued

The FCDL (Funding Commitment Decision Letter) is USAC’s official notification that it has, or has not, approved the funding request that you made in your Form 471. If your request is denied, you have the option of filing an appeal within 60 days of receiving the FCDL. If you plan to appeal a decision, we recommend that you contact DPI for guidance before you begin.

July 1, 2018: Start of Funding Year

File Form 486 to inform USAC that funded services have begun or funded equipment has been received.

During the FY 2018 Funding Year

  • File Form 472s (“BEAR forms”), including provider or vendor invoices, to request direct reimbursement from USAC. This can be done at intervals of your choice throughout the funding year, or at the end of the funding year after all services have been received. OR

  • Ask your vendor or provider to file a Form 474 (“SPI”).They will then send you a discounted bill. Form 474 is the vendor’s request for reimbursement from USAC, to cover the discounted amount of your bill



For questions about this information, contact Bill Herman (608) 267-2346