You are here

Wisconsin's GED/HSED Program

Program Requirements

According to the U.S. Census 11% of Wisconsin adults over 25 do not have a high school diploma or its equivalent. About 10,000 of these adults will decide to earn either a high school equivalency diploma (HSED) or certificate of general educational development (GED) each year.

To earn a GED or HSED in Wisconsin, you must meet certain requirements:

  • Age: Provide proof that you are least 18.5 years old or that your 9th grade class has graduated from high school. Students age 17 to 18.5 years may only be served through a school district or special program.

  • Residency: Provide proof that you have resided in Wisconsin for at least 10 days.

  • Application: Complete an application form at the initial meeting and pay a testing and credential fee.

For questions and answers on the types of GED/HSED programs, refer to: Questions and Answers relating to Wisconsin GED and HSED Program

For information on programs for youth age 17 to 18.5, please see Contracting with Technical Colleges, Challenge Academy and GEDO #2 available here: Alternative Education


GED/HSED Administration

Judy Stowell
Office Operations Associate
(608) 267-9245 or Toll Free (800) 768-8886


Some of these links may take you to non-DPI Websites. Linking these sites does not represent a DPI endorsement of the hosting agencies nor the information available at their sites.