Kids today are surrounded by technology and use it every day to learn, collaborate, share, and play. However, are they using it in a smart and responsible way? Being a Digital Citizen means knowing what is right and wrong, exhibiting intelligent technology behavior, and making good choices when online. Ensuring students understand the importance of good digital citizenship and the potential impact of a negative footprint requires the work of parents and educators.
Characteristics of a Good Digital Citizen
- Uses technology to participate in educational, cultural, and economic activities.
- Develops and uses critical thinking skills online.
- Uses technology to relate to others in positive, meaningful ways.
- Respect the concepts of privacy and freedom of speech in the digital world.
- Contribute to and actively promote the values of digital citizenship.
What Can You Do?
- Stay informed.
- Remind kids to think before they post.
- Make sure children use strict privacy settings.
- Be aware of what and who kids are connected to.
- Agree with your child what is okay to publish online.
- Create and sign a Digital Citizenship pledge with your kids