The Department of Public Instruction's Legislative and Policy Outreach Team reviews and monitors key legislation affecting schools, libraries, and the department. The attached Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (updated 2/23/21) provides an overview of all education and library related bills introduced in the 2021-2022 session. The spreadsheet also contains links to these bills, related fiscal estimates from the department, any departmental positions, and related acts and act summaries if the legislation is signed into law. Details on the state 2021-23 biennial budget is not contained in this spreadsheet, but is located at https://dpi.wi.gov/policy-budget/2021-23-biennial-budget.
Summary of Wisconsin Acts by Legislative Council (Prior Legislative Sessions)
The full text of all acts and any related veto messages can also be found on the Wisconsin State Legislature's website.
Legislative Fiscal Bureau 2021 Informational Papers
The background papers below are provided as additional information on key topics. The complete list of Legislative Fiscal Bureau papers is available at https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/misc/lfb/informational_papers/january_2021.
- State Property Tax Credits (School Levy, First Dollar, and Lottery and Gaming Credits) (Informational Paper 24)
- School District Revenue Limits and Referenda (Informational Paper 26)
- State Aid to School Districts (Informational Paper 27)
- Private School Choice and Special Needs Scholarship Programs (Informational Paper 28)
- Open Enrollment Program (Informational Paper 29)
- Charter Schools (Informational Paper 30)
- Statutory Requirements for School Districts (Informational Paper 31)
- School District Reorganization (Informational Paper 32)
- State and Local Government Revenue and Expenditure Rankings (Informational Paper 74)
- American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 - House Bill
- Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act
- Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act (CRRSA)
- Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief Fund (ESSER II)
- Governor's Education Emergency Relief Fund (GEERII)
- Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
- Elementary and Secondary Education Act
- Carl Perkins Career and Technical Education Improvement Act