The Department of Public Instruction's Policy and Budget Team analyzes and monitors key legislation affecting schools, libraries, and the department. To view education and library related bills introduced in the 2017-2018 session and whether the department has taken a formal position. If a bill has an Act number assigned to it under column F of the attached document, the bill has been passed by both houses and signed into law by the governor.
The team works closely with the department's Legislative Liaison, Dee Pettack, who can answer legislative questions or concerns. Legislative inquiries should be directed to Dee Pettack via email or phone at (608) 267-1063.
- View the text of a proposed bill at the Wisconsin State Legislature's website.
- View legislative hearing schedules.
- Tweets by @WisDPILL related to legislation.
- Assembly Education Committee, February 9, 2017
- Assembly Bill 11 - Open Enrollment (remedial legislation)
- Assembly Bill 12 - Modifying Terminology Regarding Limited-English Proficient Pupils (remedial legislation)
- Assembly Bill 13 - Repealing Outdated or Expired Reporting Requirements (remedial legislation)
- Assembly Bill 71 – Pupil Data Inventory
- Assembly Bill 72 – Privacy of Pupil Data
- Assembly Bill 199 - Career & Technical Education Equipment Grants
- Assembly Bill 221- Pupil Instruction Pilot Program
- Assembly Bill 250 - Alternative Education Grants
- Assembly Bill 251- DPI Grant Programs
- Assembly Bill 268 School Board Referendums to Exceed Revenue Limit
- Assembly Bill 269 - Scheduling of School District Referendums
- Assembly Bill 280- Personal Financial Literacy
- Assembly Bill 282 - Consideration of Resolution to Issue Bond by Common and Union High School districts
- Assembly Bill 300 – Providing Information about Mandatory Pupil Examinations
- Assembly Bill 304 – Allowing to Opt-Out of Certain Statewide Examinations
- Assembly Bill 329 - Prohibiting Aiding and Abetting Sexual Abuse
- Assembly Bill 383 - Parental Choice Programs
- Assembly Bill 398 - Summer School Classes
- Assembly Bill 427 - Firearm Education
- Assembly Bill 471 - School Aid Payments
- Assembly Bill 477 - Large Area School Districts
Assembly January 2017 Special Session Bills
- SS AB 1- Opioid Antagonist Administration to Pupils
- DPI Testimony
- SS AB 6- Recovery Charter School
- SS AB 11- Mental Health Training Grants
- Senate Bill 99 - Grobschmidt Memorial Bridge
- Senate Bill 105 - Pupil Instruction Pilot Program
- Senate Bill 127 – Career & Technical Education Incentive Grants
- Senate Bill 169 - Going Armed With a Firearm and Electric weapons, Licenses for Carrying a Concealed weapon, Trespassing while armed with a firearm, and providing criminal penalties.
- Senate Bill 187 - Providing Information about School District Referendum Revenue
- Senate Bill 253 - Prohibiting Aiding and Abetting Sexual Abuse
- Senate Bill 301 - Summer School Classes
- Senate Bill 383 - School Aid Payments
|Act Number||Bill Number||Topic|
Project Labor Agreements (Vukmir) Project labor agreements and public contracts
School Board Member Salary Refusal (Marklein) Authorizing a school board member to refuse his or her salary
Child Labor Permits (Loudenbeck) Child labor permits and modifying references to child labor in the statutes.
SS AB 1
Opioid Antagonist Administration to Pupils (Nygren) Emergency administration of opioid antagonist to pupils and other persons
SS AB 6
Recovery Charter School (Nygren) Authorizing the Director of UW’s Office of Educational Opportunity to contract for the operation of a recovery charter school, insurance coverage of mental health treatment provided by a recovery charter school, and making appropriations.
SS AB 11
Mental Health Training (Nygren) Mental health training program and making an appropriation.
Parental Choice Programs (Olsen) Parental choice programs, the Special Needs Scholarship Program, granting rule-making authority and making an appropriation
Legislative Council Memos Summarizing Acts Signed Into Law
The full text of all acts and any related veto messages can be found on the Wisconsin State Legislature's website.
Legislative Fiscal Bureau 2017 Informational Papers
- State Aid to School Districts (Informational Paper 24)
- Private School Choice Programs (Informational Paper 25)
- Open Enrollment Program (Informational Paper 26)
- Charter Schools (Informational Paper 27)
- Pupil Assessment (Informational Paper 28)
- Statutory Requirements for School Districts (Informational Paper 29)
- School District Reorganization (Informational Paper 30)
- State Property Tax Credits (School Levy, First Dollar, and Lottery and Gaming Credits) (Informational Paper 21)