IS THIS THE RIGHT APPLICATION FOR ME?
This application is for educators who hold a valid Wisconsin initial educator, provisional educator, professional educator, master educator, or lifetime license and have received the passing score for the appropriate content test to add a new license subject to their existing license.
Some new subjects also require work experience. For more information about eligibility requirements see "Wisconsin teacher license, seeking an additional subject area certification" on the Pathways to Licensure web page.
How to Apply for a License Based on a Content Test
1. Determine if you must submit fingerprints
- Use the fingerprint decision tree to determine if this step is needed. If you have determined that you need fingerprints, submit them electronically via our vendor Fieldprint by following the Electronic Fingerprint Submission directions.
2. Gather Documents
Scan all documentation into files (.pdf, .doc/docx, .jpg/jpeg, or .txt) that are 2MB or less in size
- Obtain a score report showing that you have taken and passed the necessary test to add on this new license subject.
- If applying for a new license subject based on content test AND experience, obtain a PI-1613 Employment Verification form to confirm your work experience.
- Preview the Conduct and Competency form. If applicable, obtain supporting documentation for any “yes” answers to the conduct questions.
Log in to Educator Licensing Online (ELO) with your WAMS ID
Option 1: Apply for new license subject based on content test
Option 2: Apply for new license subject based on content test AND WORK EXPERIENCE IN GRADES PK-3
Option 3: Apply for new license subject based on content test AND WORK EXPERIENCE IN GRADES 7 & 8
- Click the “GO!” button.
- Complete each page of the application as instructed. Review your Application Summary and edit information if necessary OR click the “SUBMIT” button to submit your application.
4. Receive Email Confirmation
5. Complete Application on ELO
Our processing times vary throughout the year. For current processing times see the Check Application Status page.