This application is for someone who is seeking their first short-term substitute license, or for someone who has held this license previously and wishes to hold it again. The three-year short-term substitute license may be issued to an applicant who holds an associate degree or higher from an accredited college or university and who has successfully completed an approved substitute training program, but has not completed a state-approved educator preparation program. Please note each time you apply you will use this application. With each application you can use the exact same documentation as you submitted on your previous application.
1. Determine if you must submit fingerprints
- Use the fingerprint decision tree to determine if this step is needed. If you have determined that you need fingerprints, submit them electronically via our vendor Fieldprint by following the Electronic Fingerprint Submission directions.
2. Gather Documents
Scan all documentation into files (.pdf, .doc/docx, .jpg/jpeg, or .txt) that are 2MB or less in size
- Obtain evidence that you have successfully completed the district-selected substitute training. Acceptable documentation of successful completion can be shown through:
- Certificate of Course Completion - from a DPI-approved substitute training program, including date of completion, received at the end of the training, signed by the Administrator.
- PI-1633 Substitute Teacher Training Verification Form - from the employing school district if the employing school district provided the training, including the date the training was completed.
- Please note that because we use the same application for first time applicants and those wishing to renew, you can submit the same proof of degree and training as on your previous application. If you have lost those, upload into your application a note (such as a word document) that says they were with your last application.
3. Log in to Educator Licensing Online (ELO)
- Choose "1-Teacher Category"
Choose "S-Teacher - Short Term Substitute License [T910]"
Choose "Teacher: Request Short-term Substitute License 
- Click the “GO!” button.
- Complete each page of the application as instructed. Review your Application Summary and edit information if necessary OR click the “SUBMIT” button to submit your application.
4. Receive Email Confirmation
5. Complete Application on ELO
Our processing times vary throughout the year. For current processing times see Check Application Status.