You are here

Short Term Substitute License Application Directions: Degree & Training

This application is for someone who is seeking their first short-term substitute license, or for someone who has held this license previously and wishes to hold it again. The three-year short-term substitute license may be issued to an applicant who holds an associate degree or higher from an accredited college or university, as demonstrated on an official transcript, and who has successfully completed an approved substitute training program, but has not completed a state-approved educator preparation program. Please note each time you apply you will use this application. With each application you can use the exact same documentation as you submitted on your previous application.

How to Apply for a Three-Year Short-Term Substitute License

5-step graphic

1. Determine if you must submit fingerprints

2. Gather Documents

Scan all documentation into files (.pdf, .doc/docx, .jpg/jpeg, or .txt) that are 2MB or less in size

  • Preview the ELO Conduct & Competency Questions to see if you will need to provide documentation of any alleged misconduct.
  • Obtain official transcripts documenting your degree
  • Obtain evidence that you have successfully completed the district-selected substitute training. Acceptable documentation of successful completion can be shown through:
    • Certificate of Course Completion - from a DPI-approved substitute training program, including date of completion, received at the end of the training, signed by the Administrator.
    • PI-1633 Substitute Teacher Training Verification Form - from the employing school district if the employing school district provided the training, including the date the training was completed.
  • Please note that because we use the same application for first time applicants and those wishing to renew, you can submit the same proof of degree and training as on your previous application. If you have lost those, upload into your application a note (such as a word document) that says they were with your last application.

3. Log in to Educator Licensing Online (ELO)

  • Within ELO, make sure you have answered the three onboarding questions.
  • Find the APPLY FOR A NEW LICENSE section of the Quick Start Menu. From the drop-down menu, select the following choices (as seen in the screenshot below):


T910 1910

  • Choose "1-Teacher Category"
  • Choose "S-Teacher - Short Term Substitute License [T910]"

  • Choose "Teacher: Request Short-term Substitute License [1910]

  • Click the “GO!” button.
  • Complete each page of the application as instructed. Review your Application Summary and edit information if necessary OR click the “SUBMIT” button to submit your application.

4. Receive Email Confirmation


5. Complete Application on ELO

  • Click the GO! button next to “Submit C&C and Payment to Complete Application.”
  • Review your fees.
  • Complete the Conduct and Competency Questionnaire (14 questions).
  • Pay with a credit card or pre-paid card. For fee amounts and additional payment information please see License Application Fees.


Our processing times vary throughout the year. For current processing times see Check Application Status.

Submit questions and comments about this information to the Licensing Online Help desk.