License Based on Equivalency applicants in the Wisconsin DPI LBE Pathway
The purpose of the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI) License Based on Equivalency (LBE) standards-based assessment process is to provide another pathway to a Wisconsin teaching license for people with teaching experience directly related to the license being sought.
The Wisconsin DPI LBE process is based on performance and designed for applicants to substantiate proficiency in the Wisconsin educator standards. To obtain a Wisconsin teaching license through the Wisconsin DPI LBE process, applicants must provide evidence of the following:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university;
- A subject-area major or the equivalent of a major, if applying for licensure at the early adolescence to adolescence (EA-A) or early childhood to adolescence (EC-A) developmental levels, directly related to the licensure sought;
- Three years of teaching experience directly related to the developmental level and subject of the licensure sought;
- Basic skills, content knowledge, and pedagogical knowledge demonstrated through assessments prescribed by the state superintendent;
- Competence in Wisconsin Teaching Standards 1 though 8 as demonstrated by a passing score on the edTPA and the appropriate content knowledge test:
For handbooks that have 15 rubrics, the passing score is 39.
For the handbook that has 18 rubrics (Elementary Education-Literacy with Math), the passing score is 46.
For the handbook that has 13 rubrics (World Language), the passing score is 33.
- Competence in Wisconsin Teacher Standards 9 and 10; and
- Satisfaction of all requirements required by Wisconsin statute and administrative rule.
THE LBE HANDBOOK WILL HELP YOU DETERMINE THE LICENSE FOR WHICH YOU MAY BE ELIGIBLE. IT EXPLAINS THE STEPS IN THE WISCONSIN DPI LBE PROCESS. READ IT CAREFULLY BEFORE BEGINNING A WISCONSIN DPI LBE APPLICATION.
- Wisconsin DPI LBE Handbook
- Major Equivalent Worksheets
- Educator Preparation Program Form
- Context of Teaching Form
- PI 1613 Employment Verification Form
- Part 2 Matrix
- Wisconsin DPI LBE Optional Critical Disposition Form
- Overview of edTPA
Be prepared BEFORE you login
- Determine whether you need to get fingerprinted. For more info, see the Completing the Fingerprint Requirement page.
- Preview the Conduct and Competency questions you will be answering in ELO on the Background Check Requirements page.
IF there is some type of misconduct that needs to be reported, prepare and attach a written explanation of what happened. You must also provide complete electronic (scanned) copies of documents associated with the matter that can corroborate/illuminate your explanation of the incident. These may include the criminal complaint, judgment of conviction, police reports, disciplinary letters/findings, correspondence, etc., as applicable. (Note: Court history information printed from the CCAP web site is NOT sufficient.)
Read the entire handbook for the Wisconsin DPI LBE pathway.
Prepare all required documents to be uploaded during the ELO application process. Please follow the DPI LBE Handbook closely, as it provides step-by-step instructions.
- Have your credit card ready. If you do not already have a credit card, you should purchase a pre-paid credit card at a local convenience store.
You may need to use one of these Major Equivalent Worksheets during Part One: Eligibility Review. Follow the directions provided in the LBE Handbook.
Summary of Wisconsin developmental level teacher licensing model:
- Biology Major
- Chemistry Major
- Earth and Space Science Major
- Economics Major
- English Major
- Environmental Studies Major
- Geography Major
- History Major
- Life and Environmental Science Major
- Math Major
- Physical Science Major
- Physics Major
- Political Science Major
- Psychology Major
- Sociology Major
- Speech Communications Major
- Agriculture Major
- Art Major
- Business Education Major
- Choral Music Major
- English as a Second Language Major
- Family and Consumer Major
- General Music Major
- Health Education Major
- Instrumental Music Major
- Marketing Education Major
- Physical Education Major
- Technology Education Major
- Theatre Major
- World Language Major