You are here

It’s Never Too Late Get a High School Diploma

Thursday, November 2, 2017

Carlton Waid has gone by many titles - veteran, dad, grandfather. But on August 23, 2017, he added another title, graduate of Racine Horlick High School. Waid left Horlick High School toMale Veteran Graduate holding diploma shaking hands with teacher serve in the Vietnam War and while he passed his General Educational Development (GED) test, a high school diploma remained something he still desired.

In the past, Waid had tried to complete his diploma, but was met with roadblocks that ended his pursuit. That is, until he found Peter Reynolds the Senior Equity Office and Angela Apmann a Principal from the Racine Unified School District.

Reynolds and Apmann worked with Carlton to make his dreams of becoming a high school graduate a reality. Today, you can see him driving around town with a tassel proudly hanging from his rear view mirror.

Wisconsin state law provides school districts, like Racine Unified, the ability to grant high school diplomas to veterans, like Waid, throughout their lives. Current law s. 120.13(37) states that a school can give a high school diploma to anyone that meets all of the following requirements:

  • Is at least 65 years old, or is at least 55 years old and has a service-connected disability.
  • Attended high school in the school district or attended high school in Wisconsin and resides in the school district.
  • Left high school before receiving a high school diploma to join the U.S. armed forces during a war period under s. 45.01 (13), Wis. Stats.
  • Served on active duty under honorable conditions in the U.S. armed forces or in forces incorporated as part of the U.S. armed forces.

Wisconsin school districts can award a high school diploma to someone that has received a high school equivalency diploma (HSED) or certificate of general education development (GED) issued by the State of Wisconsin, or after serving on active duty under honorable conditions if the person meets the conditions listed above.

For more information on the high school completion options for veterans at DPI contact Nancy Molfenter the Alternative Education & GED/HSED Administrator at 608-267-1062 or via email at