ContactTom McCarthy, DPI Communications Director, (608) 266-3559
MADISON — Eight public elementary schools are being nominated to a national program that recognizes schools with some of the highest student academic achievement in the state or that demonstrate dramatic gains in closing achievement gaps.
The eight schools, 2018 nominees for the National Blue Ribbon Schools Program, are:
- Bannach Elementary School, Stevens Point Area Public School District;
- College Park Elementary School, Greendale School District;
- Flynn Elementary School, Eau Claire Area School District;
- Gibraltar Elementary School, Gibraltar Area School District;
- Iron River Elementary School, Maple School District;
- Parkview Elementary School, New London School District;
- Prairie View Elementary School, De Soto Area School District; and
- Roosevelt Elementary School, Kenosha School District.
“Our schools strive every day to provide kids with learning opportunities that will prepare them to graduate college and career ready,” said State Superintendent Tony Evers. “Our nominees for the Blue Ribbon Schools Program exemplify the work of educators, families, and communities throughout our state to ensure that our students have a safe and supportive learning environment that prepares them for the future. Best wishes to our nominees in the next phase of the Blue Ribbon School process.”
Schools nominated to the program must complete the Blue Ribbon Schools application and undergo the national review process. Typically announced in September, awards are presented to up to eight Wisconsin public schools that fall into one or both of 1) Exemplary High Performing Schools, that score in the top 15 percent on state assessments; and 2) Exemplary Achievement Gap Closing Schools, that score in the top 15 percent on the Closing Gaps Priority Area of Wisconsin’s School Report Cards.
The Blue Ribbon Schools Program has recognized more than 8,500 of America’s schools since it began in 1982.
NOTE: More information is available on the department’s Blue Ribbon Schools website.