MADISON — State Superintendent Tony Evers today congratulated eight Wisconsin elementary schools that received National Blue Ribbon School honors from the U.S. Department of Education.
“Congratulations to our 2018 Blue Ribbon Schools,” Evers said. “This national honor recognizes the efforts of students, staff, families, and the school community to work together to close gaps and make sure all kids achieve so our students graduate college and career ready.”
Nominated in January, the schools completed an application and underwent a national review process. Wisconsin’s 2018 Blue Ribbon Schools are:
- Bannach Elementary School, Stevens Point Area Public School District;
- College Park Elementary School, Greendale School District;
- Flynn Elementary School, Eau Claire Area School District;
- Gibraltar Elementary School, Fish Creek, Gibraltar Area School District;
- Iron River Elementary School, Iron River, Maple School District;
- Parkview Elementary School, New London School District;
- Prairie View Elementary School, De Soto Area School District; and
- Roosevelt Elementary School, Kenosha School District.
Nationwide, 349 schools will be recognized at the Nov. 7-8 awards program in Washington, D.C. Award winning schools are honored in one of two performance categories. Exemplary High Performance Schools are among each state’s highest performing schools as measured by state assessments or nationally normed tests. Exemplary Achievement Gap Closing Schools are among each state’s highest performing schools in closing achievement gaps between a schools’ subgroups and all students over the past five years.
Since its inception 36 years ago, the Blue Ribbon Schools Program has recognized 8,800 schools across all states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, the Department of Defense Education Activity, and the Bureau of Indian Education. The 49 private schools that will receive recognition this year were nominated for the program by the Council for American Private Education.
NOTE: Photographs and a brief description of the 2018 National Blue Ribbon Schools are available on the U.S. Department of Education Blue Ribbon Schools website