The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI) collects and maintains data about education in the State of Wisconsin required for state and federal reporting, including student data, school finance data, teacher licensing data, school performance data, and agency data.
Pursuant to the Wisconsin Public Records Law, Wis. Stat. §§ 19.31 to 19.39, members of the public are able to inspect or obtain copies of public records maintained by the Department of Public Instruction, with certain exceptions under state and federal law. For more information visit the School and Libraries Records Management page.
Public Records Requests
If you wish to submit a public records request please complete a Public Records Requests form.
Data Available Publicly
DPI already publishes certain public data on many topics either on the website or on WISEdash, our public reporting portal. This public data includes: non-identifying data about students, scholastic resources, performance reports/profiles, charter/private schools, and public library data. The following list contains links to frequently-requested public data topics:
- District Contact Lists
- Public School and District Staff Reports (2016-17 and later)
- WISEdash annual download files (contains information about enrollment, attendance, test performance, discipline, high school graduation, dropouts, and postsecondary enrollment)
- School and District Report Cards and statewide download files
- School District Finance Data
- Private School Choice Program Aid Reports
- Statewide School Referenda Reports
- GIS Mapping Data
- Wisconsin Public Library Service Data
- For a complete list of available public data resources, please visit WISEdash Support - Resources for more data and reports