Educational equity means that every student has access to the resources and educational rigor they need at the right moment in their education, across race, gender, ethnicity, language, ability, sexual orientation, family background, and/or family income.
The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction, the Wisconsin RtI Center and the Disproportionality Technical Assistance Network have collaboratively developed a Model to Inform Culturally Responsive Practice.
This model describes the beliefs, knowledge, and skills Wisconsin educators and schools cultivate to reach and teach diverse learners and achieve equity within their multi-level systems of supports.
- Become self-aware: Staying alert to the ways identity and culture affect who we are and how we interact with learners and families;
- Examine the impact of systems, structures, policies, and practices on learners and families: Analyzing who the system serves and underserves;
- Believe all learners can and will achieve at high levels: Examining and intentionally pushing back on societal biases and stereotypes;
- Understand all learners have a unique world view: Recognizing each adult and learner represents a complex blend of cultures, identities, and roles, with singular differences;
- Know and respect the communities: Understanding and valuing the behaviors, beliefs, and historical experiences of families and community members served by the school;
- Lead, model, and advocate for equity: Challenging prejudice and discrimination as barriers to equity and giving voice to those inequitably impacted by school and district decisions, policies and practices;
- Accept the responsibility for learner success: Recognizing equitable outcomes depend on changing the school’s and district’s beliefs and practices, rather than fixing learners and families; and
- Using practices, curriculum, and policies that respect the identities and cultures of learners and families served by schools.
Leading for Equity: Opportunities for State Education Chiefs. (n.d.). Retrieved March 8, 2018, from https://www.ccsso.org/resource-library/leading-equity-opportunities-state-education-chiefs