Listed below are suggestions for the steps needed to submit a grant application.
- Review whether you meet the criteria to apply.
- Review your equipment needs.
- Determine how the equipment requested will help you meet one or more of the stated goals of the grant.
- Read all parts of the application to be sure that you understand what is being asked.
- Obtain information from other SFA staff if needed.
- Write your equipment specification(s). See Summary - Writing Specifications for Food Service Equipment for help with writing your specification.
- Obtain three bids for the desired equipment. Include all components of the expected cost.
Completing the Application
- Put the grant deadline on your calendar with reminders so that the grant is submitted on time.
- Answer all parts of each question. In the narrative section be sure to provide the information requested.
- Ask questions if you need clarification.
- Have someone else read your application to determine if the answers are clear and contain all of the required information. Edit the application as needed.
- Make copies or scans of the specifications and equipment bids to send with your grant application.
- Make sure you have all the required signatures.
- Submit application by mail or email, postmarked or emailed by due date.
- Retain a copy of the application for your files.
Remember that these funds are limited and very competitive. Be as thorough as possible to convince the grant readers that the request is appropriate and is the correct solution for the program in question.