RCCIs are eligible to participate in and receive reimbursement for the School Breakfast Program (SBP), National School Lunch Program (NSLP), and the After School Snack Program if meals and snacks are served to eligible children and meet the meal pattern requirements.
- Extending Flexibility for RCCIs in the National School Lunch Program SP 48-2013, USDA, 06/25/13
- Residential Child Care Institutions exception for safety if serving Multiple Age/Grade Groups SP 38-2012, USDA, 07/16/12
- Extending Flexibility for Residential Child Care Institutions in the National School Lunch Program DPI SNT, 08/28/13
Menu Planning Tools
Meal Pattern Tables
- Lunch Meal Pattern Table - 6-day school week
- Lunch Meal Pattern Table - 7-day school week
- Breakfast Meal Pattern Table - 6-day school week
- Breakfast Meal Pattern Table - 7-day school week
The Substitution of Vegetables for Fruit flexibility (SP16-2019) is effective until September 30, 2019.
Menu Planning Worksheets
- Lunch Menu Planning Worksheet Grades 9-12 - 6-day school week
- Lunch Menu Planning Worksheet Grades 9-12 - 7-day school week
- Breakfast Menu Planning Worksheet Grades K-12 - 6-day school week
- Breakfast Menu Planning Worksheet Grades K-12 - 7-day school week
Weekly Nutrient Calculator
Meal Pattern Waivers
Offer versus Serve waiver
With an OVS waiver, all students, including those in grades 9-12, may be served full portions of all components. If this is the case, every tray must include every component in the full serving size, including milk, to count as a reimbursable meal.
Without an OVS waiver, OVS is required at lunch for grades 9-12. See OVS In a Nutshell for more information.
Grade Grouping waiver
With a grade grouping waiver, all students are offered or served the amount for the oldest grade group (usually 9-12).
Without a GG waiver, students must be offered or served to meet their appropriate grade grouping. See the meal pattern tables for more information
With a milk waiver, a variety of milk types must be offered over the course of the week.
Without a milk waiver, a variety of milk must be offered daily. See Milk in a Nutshell for more information.