School Breakfast Program
More than 8.1 million children across the United States start their day with the School Breakfast Program, a Federal program that provides States with cash assistance for non-profit breakfast programs in schools and residential child care institutions.
Announcing the 2018-2019 Wisconsin School Breakfast Challenge!
Make this school year the best one yet and see how easy it is to provide a healthy breakfast and a great start for every student. The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI) School Nutrition Team is partnering with Hunger Task Force (HTF) and Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungry (NKH) to promote breakfast in Wisconsin schools through the Wisconsin School Breakfast Challenge. The challenge begins December 1, 2018 and ends February 28, 2019.
Schools across Wisconsin are invited to compete for prizes and recognition by increasing participation in their school breakfast program, or to start a new program if they do not already have one. As student participation grows, so do the chances for winning!
- Grand Prize: $1,000 for Highest Breakfast Participation Increase (2 Schools)
- $750 Prizes for Most Improved Breakfast After the Bell (2 Schools)
- $750 Prizes for Implementing School Breakfast Program (2 Schools)
Not only is there opportunity to win prizes, but all participating schools are eligible to apply for NKH’s breakfast grants, totaling $30,000. For these grants, there is no free and/or reduced price meal percentage requirement. Instructions and the link to apply for a breakfast grant can be found on page 3 of the Wisconsin School Breakfast Challenge Toolkit.
Starting a School Breakfast Program
Serving Up a Successful School Breakfast Program - A Guide for School Breakfast Program Implementation, updated December 2015
- School Breakfast Program Cost/Benefit Analysis: Achieving a profitable SBP - UW Extension, Family Living Program
- USDA - Energize Your Day with School Breakfast Toolkit This toolkit has tips and information on starting or expanding a breakfast program, menu planning, designing a marketing plan, financial planning, surveys, flyers, brochures, posters and other promotional pieces.
- To sign your school up for this program or for more information contact Tracy Huffman at (608) 266-7112.
Wisconsin School Breakfast Statistics
School Breakfast Program Enrollment and Participation Report (E&PR): These data reports provide district level information regarding student enrollment and free and reduced price eligible students. The report also provides meal participation data by free/reduced price and paid categories.
School Participation and Service Models
Food Research and Action Center (FRAC) Report
Previously Awarded School Breakfast Program Grants
- Breakfast in the Classroom (BIC) 2013 Equipment Grant - Awarded Schools
- Proposed Nutrition Standards Pilot Grant Awards Announced - Awarded Schools
- Kohl Breakfast Start Up and Participation Improvement Grants - Awarded Schools