The Food Buying Guide for Child Nutrition Programs has all of the current information in one manual to help you and your purchasing agent 1) buy the right amount of food and the appropriate type of food for your program(s), and 2) determine the specific contribution each food makes toward the meal pattern requirements.
The Food Buying Guide is being updated in phases to include resources for the new Nutrition Standards for School Meals. You will find the most up to date sections here.
- Clarification of the Policy on Food Consumption Outside of Foodservice Area, and the Whole Grain-Rich Requirement SP 41-2014, USDA, 04/21/14
- Grain Requirements for the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Program SP 30-2012, USDA, 04/26/2012
- Grain Based Desserts at Breakfast and Lunch (Minnesota Department of Education)
- USDA's Whole Grain Resource for the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs
Whole Grain Information
- Exhibit A: Whole Grain-Rich Ounce Equivalency Requirements for School Meal Programs
- Nutrition Nugget - Whole Grains DPI 3 minute video to assist schools in selection of whole grains
- List of Common Whole Grains - Resource from the Healthier US School Challenge Application Kit
- DPI Educational Handouts
- Whole Grains Council - Information on whole grains including how to identify them, examples and sources for recipes.
- Whole Grains in Child Nutrition Programs - This Institute of Child Nutrition publication consists of a trainer's manual and participant's manual and is designed to familiarize participants with identifying whole grains and learning how to incorporate more whole grains into their school menus.
Meat/ Meat Alternate
- Smoothies Offered in Child Nutrition Programs SP 10-2014 v3, USDA, 07/22/15
- Crediting Tofu and Soy Yogurt Products SP 16-2012, USDA, 02/22/12
- Vegetable Subgroups Handout - Connecticut State Department of Education
- Formulated Grain Fruit Products SP 26-2012, USDA, 04/17/2012