Reporting the Upcoming Referendum and Associated Results to DPI
Information for reporting the results of the 2022 election day(s) will be updated as circumstances warrant.
Referenda (operations or to issue debt) Limitations to Exceed Revenue Limits: 2017 Act 59 (2017-19 Biennial Budget) limits a school board to approving no more than two board resolutions authorizing referendums (operations or to issue debt) to exceed a district’s state imposed revenue limit per calendar year. In addition--with one exception--the two referendums/ballot questions can only be held on the regularly scheduled spring or fall election days.
The exception is if a school district has experienced a natural disaster, it may hold a special referendum within the six-month period following the natural disaster but no sooner than 70 days after the adoption of the resolution (not to be subject to the scheduling restrictions described above).In other words, these new limitations--which began on January 1, 2018--apply to both, the timing of the vote on the questions to be the regularly scheduled Spring and Fall election days (exception for a natural disaster) and the limiting of school boards to approving up to two referendums/ballot questions per calendar year.
Upcoming 2022 Scheduled Election Days
The 2022 regularly scheduled election days are:
Spring Primary – February 15, 2022
Spring Election – April 5, 2022
Partisan Primary – August 9, 2022
General Election – November 8, 2022
Two Resolution per Year Limit
These limitations on the ability of a school board to ask voters to exceed state imposed revenue limits prohibit a board from passing more than two resolutions per calendar year. A resolution (for operations or to issue debt) results in a referendum/ballot question that the voter is asked to approve or deny. If you have questions about these new limitations on school referenda, please contact Roger Kordus at 608-267-3752 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
DPI Notification Logistics
Notification to the Department of Public Instruction (DPI) of upcoming referendum elections is performed via the Internet through the DPI School Finance Reporting Portal. The district's ID and password is required and the security access required is only for authorized users of the PI-1505 Annual Report. To notify DPI of an upcoming referendum or its results:
- Select your district on the next page
- Click on "Financial Data Home"
- Click on "Referenda"
- Click on "Add a New Referendum" to report an upcoming election. This will require your district ID and password.
- For Recurring Referenda, Non-Recurring Referenda and Referenda for Debt Issue, send a copy of the signed initial resolution, the referendum question and the official referendum ballot question(s) or the upcoming public election to Roger Kordus.
- To modify a previously-reported referendum, click on the "Referendum ID". This will also require your district ID and password.
- Click on "Custom Referenda Reports" to generate reports