(Wis. Stats. 117.15)
Wis. Stats. Ch. 117.15 lists the criteria by which school boards and the School District Boundary Appeal Board (SDBAB) or the three-member Appeal Panel evaluate school district reorganization requests. The following items, along with other appropriate factors, should be considered when assessing the effect of the reorganization on the educational welfare of all the children residing in all of the affected school districts:
- The geographical and topographical characteristics of the affected school districts, including the estimated travel time to and from school for pupils in the school districts.
- The educational needs of all of the children residing in the affected school districts, the educational programs currently offered by each affected school district and the ability and commitment of each school district to meet those needs and continue to offer those educational programs.
- If territory is proposed to be detached from one school district and attached to an adjoining school district, whether the proposed detachment will have any adverse effect on the program currently offered by the school district from which the territory is proposed to be detached, including both curricular and extracurricular aspects of that program.
- The testimony of and written statements filed by the residents of the affected school districts.
- The estimated fiscal effect of the proposed reorganization on the affected school districts, including the effect of the apportionment of assets and liabilities.
- Whether the proposed reorganization will make any part of a school district's territory noncontiguous.
- The socioeconomic level and racial composition of the pupils who reside or will reside in territory proposed to be detached from one school district and attached to an adjoining school district or in a school district proposed to be dissolved; the proportion of the pupils who reside in such territory who are children at risk, as defined under s. 118.153 (1)(a); and the effect that the pupils described in this paragraph will have on the present and future socioeconomic level and racial composition of the affected school districts and on the proportion of the affected school districts' enrollments that will be children at risk.
- The results of any referendum held under s.117.10.
- Other appropriate factors.