You are here

Associates Degree and Short-Term Substitute Permits

Monday, November 27, 2017

The 2017-2019 Wisconsin state budget now allows DPI to issue a short-term substitute teacher permit to individuals who hold an associate degree from an accredited college or university and successfully complete substitute teacher training.  This training may be provided by a school district, a Cooperative Educational Services Agency (CESA), an approved educator preparation program, and other agencies approved by the DPI.  It must include:

  1. Basic district and school policies and procedures.
  2. Age appropriate teaching strategies.
  3. Discipline, conflict resolution and classroom management techniques.
  4. Health and safety issues including handling medical emergencies.
  5. Techniques for starting a class.
  6. The culture of schools and the profession.
  7. Working with lesson plans.
  8. Working with children with special needs, including confidentiality issues.

More information can be found at

Note: State statute requires that individuals with an associate degree complete the training prior to applying for the permit.  Individuals with a bachelor’s degree or higher may complete the training after they apply.

The following are acceptable forms of documenting successful completion of substitute teacher training:

  • CESA or WEAC Certificate of Completion, including date of completion
  • Confirmation letter of successful completion, on district letterhead, including date of completion, signed by an authorized Administrator.

Please continue to monitor our Latest Licensing News blog for updates on changes to licensing.

DPI is currently receiving a high volume of contacts for assistance.  The four most common topics of discussion are:

Latest Licensing News
Help with WAMS IDs

Before you can submit an application to DPI, you must register for a Web Access Management Systems (WAMS) user ID.

How to set up a WAMS account

Already have one or more WAMS accounts?

How to start your WAMS account recovery:

Perform a WAMS account recovery for all emails you have. Enter your email address but do NOT enter your User ID to start your WAMS account recovery. Once in the account recovery process you will be prompted to change your password. After you change your password you will be told in parentheses what your correct User ID is. Please make note of that before you terminate the account recovery session. Once you have recovered all WAMS accounts you have, login to ELO with each of your accounts individually. If you can see your licenses, you are logging in with the correct WAMS account. If you are taken through the Onboarding process again, you are not using the correct WAMS account and should try another account.

If you encounter errors in the WAMS account recovery process, please contact WAMS directly.  DPI is unable to help with WAMS recovery because the system is used by many state agencies and is run by the Department of Administration:

Revalidating Life or Lifetime License

Educators, whose Life or Lifetime license was invalidated in July, have until December 31 to revalidate their license. Upon approval of the $45 Request Background Check - Lifetime Licensee [5900] application, the Lifetime license will be revalidated just as if the educator completed the application before June 30. Educators will have until December 31 to complete this application for their license to be revalidated.

Background Checks

DPI is required by law to conduct a background check on each applicant for a Wisconsin educator license regardless of whether it is an initial request or a renewal request.

All educators are required to complete a background check to maintain or revalidate a life or lifetime license. There are directions for how to complete the $45 Request Background Check - Lifetime Licensee [5900].

To find the year in which your most recent background check was submitted, search License Lookup using your name or entity number and check see the “Last Background Check Submitted” field.