Directions for applying for an Indian Language License:
- Create a WAMS (Wisconsin Access Management System) ID if you do not already have one.
- It is recommended that applicants use a personal email address when creating an ELO account. This email address must be available and accessible by the applicants as it will be the primary communication method from the licensing system.
- Please follow the instructions on the screen when setting up a WAMS account. There are links to the WAMS Help page and the WAMS FAQ page. For assistance in setting up WAMS account, contact Help Wisconsin Support
- Guide to creating a WAMS ID
- If you have ever held a license from DPI, successfully "onboard" into the ELO system - Onboarding Instructions
- Determine whether you need to get fingerprinted. For more info, see http://dpi.wi.gov/tepdl/licensing/fingerprint
Preview the Conduct and Competency questions you will be answering in ELO at:https://dpi.wi.gov/tepdl/licensing/background
Scan all required documents as PDF files so you can upload them during the ELO application process. Each file must be less than 2MB.
- Letter of recommendation from employing district or school administrator
- Letter from tribal council designee or local American Indian parent advisory committee designee documenting competence to teach Indian language
- Have your credit card ready. If you do not have a credit card, purchase a pre-paid credit card at a convenience store.
Log into the ELO system - http://elo.wieducatorlicensing.org to apply. Find the section toward the bottom of the window for starting a new license application. Here are the choices you should make, then click Select and follow the directions.