Directions to apply for an initial Montessori teacher license
STEP 1: Create a WAMS (Wisconsin Access Management System) ID if you do not already have one.
- It is recommended that applicants use a personal email address when creating an ELO account. This email address must be available and accessible by you as it will be the primary communication method from the licensing system.
- Please follow the instructions on the screen when setting up a WAMS account. There are links to the WAMS Help page and the WAMS FAQ page. For assistance in setting up WAMS account, contact Help Wisconsin Support
- Guide to creating a WAMS ID
STEP 2: If you have ever held a license or permit issued by the DPI, successfully "onboard" into the ELO system by connecting your WAMS account to an existing account - Onboarding Instructions
STEP 3: Determine whether you need to get fingerprinted.
The following applicants are required to submit fingerprints to the Department of Public Instruction (DPI) when applying for a license:
- Applicants who have worked, resided, or physically attended classes in any of the locations listed below within the last twenty years (after age 17):
- U.S. states other than Wisconsin
- Listed U.S. territories (American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands, or Virgin Islands)
- Great Britain (England, Scotland, or Wales)
- Applicants, who since their most recent submission of fingerprints to DPI have worked, resided, or physically attended classes in any locations listed above.
- Applicants who provide an address on their application that is in any of the locations listed above.
If you need to get fingerprinted, see https://dpi.wi.gov/tepdl/licensing/fingerprint for how to complete this.
STEP 4: Preview the Conduct and Competency questions you will be answering in ELO
- Read ELO's Conduct and Competency Questions
IF there is some type of misconduct that needs to be reported, prepare and attach a written explanation of what happened. You must also provide complete electronic (scanned) copies of documents associated with the matter that can corroborate / illuminate your explanation of the incident. These may include the criminal complaint, judgment of conviction, police reports, disciplinary letters/findings, correspondence, etc., as applicable. (Note: Court history information printed from the CCAP web site is NOT sufficient.)
STEP 5: Prepare Required Documentation
Required files must be scanned into a PDF files that areless than 2 MB in size. Save the files so that they are readily available to upload into ELO
- ?PI 1612-T Institutional Endorsement and Assurances form
- Transcripts (bachelors degree plus prep program if not part of bachelors) - please see our Transcripts web page for information on what is acceptable
- Test score reports
- Basic skills test
- Praxis II Elementary Education Content Knowledge (5014) and/or Praxis II Middle School Content Knowledge test (5146), depending on Montessori level
- Wisconsin Foundations of Reading Test
STEP 6: Have your credit card ready
- If you do not already have a credit card, purchase a pre-paid credit card at a convenience store.
- Cash and checks are not accepted.
STEP 7: Log into the ELO system - http://elo.wieducatorlicensing.org to apply.
Note: Using ELO on Macintosh OS X or on mobile devices may result in unexpected behavior.
When you get to the Quick Start Menu, find the section that says, "Apply for a New License" section. Make the following choices: