You are here

DPI Recognized Accreditation

DPI is currently receiving a high volume of contacts for assistance.  The four most common topics of discussion are:

Latest Licensing News
Help with WAMS IDs

Before you can submit an application to DPI, you must register for a Web Access Management Systems (WAMS) user ID.

How to set up a WAMS account

Already have one or more WAMS accounts?

How to start your WAMS account recovery:

Perform a WAMS account recovery for all emails you have. Enter your email address but do NOT enter your User ID to start your WAMS account recovery. Once in the account recovery process you will be prompted to change your password. After you change your password you will be told in parentheses what your correct User ID is. Please make note of that before you terminate the account recovery session. Once you have recovered all WAMS accounts you have, login to ELO with each of your accounts individually. If you can see your licenses, you are logging in with the correct WAMS account. If you are taken through the Onboarding process again, you are not using the correct WAMS account and should try another account.

If you encounter errors in the WAMS account recovery process, please contact WAMS directly.  DPI is unable to help with WAMS recovery because the system is used by many state agencies and is run by the Department of Administration:

In order to receive a DPI license or renew a DPI license with credits, the college or university attended must be accredited by an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.  

  • In order to receive a license in Wisconsin, your licensure preparation program must be offered through a four-year college or university accredited by an institutional accrediting agency recognized by U.S. Department of Education.  
  • In order to renew your license with credits, the courses must be taken at an institution of higher education accredited by an instututional accrediting agency recognized by U.S. Department of Education. 
    • NOTE: The National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE: has now become Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP:  Therefore no college/university can still be accredited by NCATE. As long as the school is institutionally accredited it meets DPI’s accreditation requirement for license renewal.

To check if your college/university is accredited by the U.S. Department of Education, please refer to the U.S. Department of Education accreditation search:

To view all U.S. Secretary of Education recognized accrediting associations refer to this search function: