You are here

Renewal of PI 3 Professional Educator License

Educators who completed their preparation programs before September 1, 2004 must complete their continuing professional development requirement by successfully completing one of the options listed below within the five years immediately preceding the July 1st effective date of their new license

1. Professional Development Plan Option
Complete a verified Professional Development Plan.  The plan may be completed on paper or online, but the verification must be submitted through one of our online PDP providers.

2. Six Semester Credit Option
Complete six semester credits (or nine quarter credits) of undergraduate or graduate level course work that is directly or substantively related to one or more of the licenses you hold, enhances your professional competence, and is related to the appropriate Wisconsin Educator Standards.  The credits must be taken at an institution of higher education institutionally accredited by an agency recognized by U.S. Department of Education (search at

Note: Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and Professional Development Units (PDUs) cannot be used in place of credits for license renewal.

Please note, all course work for renewal credits must be completed within the five years immediately preceding the new license begin date.  It is not possible to bank renewal credits from one licensing period to another.  Example:  John Doe has a license that valid from July 1, 2012 to June 30, 2017.  His credits must be completed between those dates to be used for renewal.

If you take a course that straddles your license begin/expiration date it is the date that the credits are earned that determines whether the course can be used for renewal.  Example:  John Doe took a class that started June 15, 2012 and ended July 15, 2012.  He earned the credits in the month of July, which is during the valid dates of his license, which means the course is acceptable for his 2017 license renewal.  John Doe will take a class that starts June 10, 2017 and ends July 10, 2017.  He will earn the credits after the valid dates of his license, so this class could not be used for his 2017 license renewal.

Original transcripts or grade reports documenting successful completion of course work must be submitted with your application at the time of license renewal.  Further information about transcript requirements can be found at

How to manage all of your licenses so that they can be renewed at the same time (Synchronization of licenses)

If you have two or more licenses on different license renewal cycles (e.g., a teaching license in English on the 2014-2019 cycle and  a teaching license in Speech on the 2011-2016 cycle), you can request to sync your licenses. Please note:

  • You must take credits in overlapping years: If you are eligible to renew your licenses with credits, the credits need to be taken in the overlapping years of the two licenses. Using the example above, an applicant could request to synch their licenses in 2016 if they have taken six semester credits between 7/1/2014-6/30/2016 – the overlapping period of the two licenses they hold.

  • A PDP can be used to renew licenses in different categories (administrative, pupil services, and teaching): If you have licenses in more than one category  (a teaching license and an administrator license) that are on two different cycles, you can use the PDP to renew both the administrative and the teaching license. Both licenses will then be on the same cycle.  For example, if you have an administrator license from 7/1/2011 to 6/30/2016 and a teaching license from 7/1/2014 to 6/30/2019 and you completed your PDP on 6/5/2015, you can renew both your administrator and teaching license with that PDP and your new license cycle for both licenses will be 7/1/2015 to 6/30/2020. 

Once you have earned credits in the overlapping years of your licenses OR a PDP that was verified in the overlapping years of your licenses you will request the synchronization on your next DPI renewal application.  Complete the Request to Synchronize License Cycles page of the application indicating which licenses you are trying to synchronize.

Credits not completed by June 30th?

If you have not completed all course work by June 30th of the year your five-year license expires and you will be working the following year, you will need to apply for a one-year non-renewable extension. All course work requirements must be completed by June 30 (the expiration date of the one-year extension).  For more detailed instructions, please see