You are here

Guest Teacher License

DPI is currently receiving a high volume of contacts for assistance.  The four most common topics of discussion are:

Latest Licensing News

Help with WAMS IDs

Before you can submit an application to DPI, you must register for a Web Access Management Systems (WAMS) user ID.

How to set up a WAMS account

Already have one or more WAMS accounts?

How to start your WAMS account recovery:

Perform a WAMS account recovery for all emails you have. Enter your email address but do NOT enter your User ID to start your WAMS account recovery. Once in the account recovery process you will be prompted to change your password. After you change your password you will be told in parentheses what your correct User ID is. Please make note of that before you terminate the account recovery session. Once you have recovered all WAMS accounts you have, login to ELO with each of your accounts individually. If you can see your licenses, you are logging in with the correct WAMS account. If you are taken through the Onboarding process again, you are not using the correct WAMS account and should try another account.

If you encounter errors in the WAMS account recovery process, please contact WAMS directly.  DPI is unable to help with WAMS recovery because the system is used by many state agencies and is run by the Department of Administration:

Guest Teacher License

The Guest Teacher license is a Tier I license issued to those teachers who are employed in Wisconsin as part of a teacher exchange or guest teacher program.  This is a pathway to time-limited licensure to allow eligible educators from other nations to come to the U.S. to teach in Wisconsin. The Guest Teacher license will be issued in the grades and subject(s) based on the teacher preparation completed and the license issued in another country*.

Candidates for the Guest Teacher license may be eligible for a three-year license if they can provide the following:

  1. Verification of both the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree in the United States and completion of an approved teacher training program in another country as verified on an approved foreign credential evaluation. A list of acceptable entities that can provide this service can be found at:
  2. Evidence of their professional experience.
  3. The PI-1624-GUEST form completed by the employing school district.

Please review the International Exchange and Guest Teacher Pathway PDF for additional information regarding exchange programs and requirements for school districts and teachers.

Application Process for Guest Teacher License

An applicant who meets the criteria under 1-3 above will follow these directions to apply for the Guest Teacher license:

Next Steps

This license can be renewed for one additional license term with the above application. There are no additional requirements for renewing this license, however, guest teachers and employing school districts need to understand and follow visa and other immigration requirements. 

* Individuals who are employed in a WI school district in grades and/or subject(s) outside what can be issued for the guest teacher license are required to submit application for a district requested One-Year License with Stipulations where renewal requirements for that license would apply. Please see for more information.