The License Based on Reciprocity is a five-year non-renewable educator license. The License Based on Reciprocity is available for teacher and administrator licenses, but it is not available for pupil services licenses. For an overview of the pathway process see License Based on Reciprocity pathway. The License Based on Reciprocity does not allow the following:
- Educators cannot add additional license areas through the License Based on Content Test pathway
- Educators cannot add supplementary teaching licenses to the License Based on Reciprocity
- The License Based on Reciprocity does not satisfy the licensure and experience needed for Administrative licensure in Wisconsin.
- The License Based on Reciprocity does not lead to Lifetime licensure
In order to do any of the above, educators should obtain a Provisional license through our Out-of-State Pathway.
- Hold a current teaching license in good standing from another state
- Have taught one year with the teaching license from out of state
- Hold a current administrator license in good standing from another state
- Have worked one year with the administrator license from out of state
How to Obtain the Five-Year Non-Renewable License Based on Reciprocity
- DETERMINE your eligibility by following the steps identified here: License Based on Reciprocity
- PREPARE electronic copies of your valid license from another state and an employment verification form
- APPLY for a Wisconsin License using the ELO System.
How to Obtain the Renewable License
When your License Based on Reciprocity expires you will need to have completed the following requirements for professional licensure:
- Completed an approved Educator Preparation Program for your licensure area. To determine if your out of state license program meets Wisconsin's requirements or if you will have to complete additional requirements use the Self-Screen for Eligibility.
- Completed all of the required tests for the licenses you are applying for.
- Complete the advancement requirements for an initial educator license.