You are here

License Based on Reciprocity

The License Based on Reciprocity is an initial five-year non-renewable educator license.  The License Based on Reciprocity is available for teacher and administrator licenses, but it is not available for pupil services licenses.  For an overview of the pathway process see License Based on Reciprocity pathway.  Please note that you will only be considered for the license that the Wisconsin school district is requesting for you, not all of the licenses that you may hold in other states.

Candidate Profile

  • Hold a current teaching license in good standing from another state
  • Have taught one year with the teaching license from out of state
  • Hold a current administrator license in good standing from another state
  • Have worked one year with the administrator license from out of state
  • Have a job offer from a school in Wisconsin

How to Obtain the Five-Year Non-Renewable License Based on Reciprocity

  1. DETERMINE your eligibility by following the steps identified here: License Based on Reciprocity
  2. PREPARE electronic copies of your valid license from another state and an employment verification form
  3. SEEK school district assistance in completing the PI-1622-LICOOS District Request for Wisconsin License based on Reciprocity form
  4. APPLY for a Wisconsin License using the ELO System.

How to Obtain the Renewable License

When your License Based on Reciprocity expires you will need to have completed the following requirements for professional licensure:

  1. Completed an approved Educator Preparation Program for your licensure area.  To determine if your out of state license program meets Wisconsin's requirements or if you will have to complete additional requirements use the Self-Screen for Eligibility
  2. Completed all of the required tests for the licenses you are applying for.
  3. Complete the advancement requirements for an initial educator license.