Tier One Licenses
The One-Year License with Stipulations (LWS1) and the Three-Year License with Stipulations (LWS3) were first made available on 06/17/2017. The LWS1 originally replaced the emergency license and emergency permit, but since August 1, 2018, there are several pathways and criteria that could result in our office issuing a LWS1.
The candidates who may be eligible for the LWS1 are the:
- Out-of-State program: Teachers or pupil services staff prepared in another state who have not met Wisconsin testing requirements OR
- WI approved program: Teachers with a bachelor’s degree who have completed all coursework in a WI approved program, but who have not met all WI approved program requirements OR
- School district need: Teachers with a bachelor’s degree hired when a district cannot find a fully licensed educator OR
- Pupil Services: Counselors or social workers with a master’s degree or psychologists with an education specialists or doctoral degree who have yet to complete an approved program OR
- Speech and Language Pathologist: Speech and Language Pathologists with a master’s degree who hold a valid license from the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services (DSPS)
Please note: Those hired to serve in an administrative position who have not yet completed an approved administrative licensure program use the 1-Year Board Requested License application instead. See: https://dpi.wi.gov/tepdl/licensing/types/one-year-administrator
Application Process for One-Year License with Stipulations (LWS1)
- An applicant prepared in another state who has not met Wisconsin's testing requirements will follow the Initial License for Out-of-State Program Completers application directions in the category (Teacher/Pupil Services) of your license.
- An applicant who meets the criteria under 2-4 above, will follow the directions to apply for the LWS1 found Application Directions for One-Year License with Stipulations.
- An applicant who meets the criteria for licensure under 5 will follow the directions to apply for the LWS1 as a Speech and Language Pathologist found Application Directions for One-Year License with Stipulations for Speech and Language Pathology.
- Out-of-State program: Pass the required WI tests by August 31 of the year the license expires so the department can consider you for a Provisional License (Tier II).
- WI approved program: Finish the requirements of your WI approved program so that your preparation program can endorse you for a license.
- School district need: Enroll in an educator preparation program and complete at least 6 semester credits toward your licensure program by August 31 of the year the license expires.
- Pupil Services: Enroll in an educator preparation program and complete at least 6 semester credits toward your pupil services licensure program by August 31 of the year the license expires.
- Speech and Language Pathologist: Continue to apply for the LWS1 with the valid DSPS license for a maximum of three LWS1’s. Should you want consideration for the Provisional License (Tier II), you must enroll in a school SLP program and finish the DPI licensure requirements for that program’s endorsement.
Please note: IDEA requires those hired to serve as special education teachers, including speech and language pathologist, to complete the full requirements for institutional endorsement from a DPI approved educator preparation program within three school years. Our office cannot issue additional Licenses with Stipulations that will allow someone to exceed this limit.
To be eligible for the LWS3, a teacher must hold a Provisional (Tier II), Lifetime (Tier III), or Master Educator (Tier IV) license and have at least one year of experience in the requesting district who is assigned to teach grades and/or subjects outside what is authorized under their license. The district:
- assigns the teacher to a new subject and/or developmental level
- provides appropriate professional development and supervision for the teacher to become proficient in the license program content guidelines for the new license area so that the teacher is prepared to submit a portfolio to the department by the end of the term of this license.
Application Process for Three-Year Non-renewable License with Stipulations (LWS3)
An applicant who meets this criteria will follow the directions to apply found Application Directions for Three-Year License with Stipulations.
By the end of the 3-year License term, the teacher must demonstrate eligibility for a Provisional License (Tier II) or Lifetime License (Tier III) either by endorsement from an approved program or verification of proficiency in a portfolio as confirmed through either an educator preparation program or the department. Responsibilities under the LWS3 district-sponsored pathway include:
TEACHER: Become proficient in the content guidelines for the new license area. Collect artifacts/assessments demonstrating proficiency in the new content guidelines. At the conclusion of three years, submit a portfolio of the evidence to a DPI-approved educator preparation program or the DPI for review.
EDUCATOR PREPARATION PROGRAMS: Partner with districts in their efforts to provide professional development in the content guidelines for the new license area. At the conclusion of three years, review teachers' portfolios to ensure that they are proficient in the content guidelines. If the teacher demonstrates proficiency, endorse the teacher for the new license.
DPI: Provide technical assistance to district that request it. (The DPI does not review nor approve districts' professional development plans in the content guidelines for the new license area.) At the conclusion of three years, review teachers' portfolios to ensure that they are proficient in the new content guidelines. If the teacher demonstrate proficiency, issue the license.