You are here

Bilingual and ESL

Latest Licensing News Blog

Important Notice


There have been many recent changes to licensure in statute and rule.  Please review the Latest Licensing News blog for updates on current licensing requirements.


Bilingual Education

Bilingual Education (023/1023) is a supplemental license allowing teachers to teach subjects for which they hold licenses for in two languages.


  • A teacher who holds a Mathematics (400/1400) license for Early Adolescence – Adolescence (73) with Bilingual License can teach Mathematics in two languages to children ages 10-21.
  • A teacher who holds a Regular Education (777/1777) license for Middle Childhood – Early Adolescence (72) with Bilingual License can teach core academic subject areas covered by the regular education license (Mathematics, Social Studies, Language Arts, and Science) in two languages to children ages 6-12.

English as a Second Language (ESL)

ESL (395/1395) license allows the license holder to teach the English language to English Language Learners while supporting core academic subject instruction provided by the classroom teacher at the grade or developmental level specified on the license.

Please see our ESL, Bilingual/Bicultural, and World Languages guidance document for a useful chart that identifies the programs that can be taught to English language learners (ELL) with different teacher licenses.