You are here

Elementary Education and 4K

State Budget Licensure Changes

Important NoticeEducators who hold a Professional or Master Educator license that was supposed to expire on June 30, 2018, DO NOT NEED TO APPLY to renew their license with credits or a PDP.  The state budget has removed the expiration dates from these licenses, and we are working to have license lookup reflect that.

Please visit the Latest Licensing News blog for information on the state budget's impact on licensure. All available information has been posted to the Latest Licensing News blog. Please Note: the first post relating to the new license rules was written September 22nd.

A license in Regular Education or Elementary Education allows the license holder to teach any subject in a self-contained classroom, except a foreign language, within the grade or developmental range as specified on the license.

A license in Regular Education or Elementary Education also allows the license holder to teach the following subjects in a departmentalized or other school organization pattern within the grade or developmental range as specified on the license: language arts, mathematics, science, social studies, and health.

A license in a discrete content field is required if the content course is offered for graduation credit.

Early Childhood/Four-Year Old Kindergarten

Four-year old kindergarten can be taught by an educator who holds an Early Childhood license or an Elementary Education license that includes prekindergarten or kindergarten in the grade levels of the license.