You are here

American Board

Lifetime Licenses Created

Important Notice

As required in the 2017-18 state budget, conversion of current Professional and Master Educator licenses to Lifetime licenses is complete.  If you wish to print a copy of your Lifetime license, please follow the four numbered steps below:

  1. Access your ELO Account
  2. Navigate to the “Manage Your Existing Licenses” section of the Quick Start Menu
  3. Choose “Print license certificate” from the drop down menu and click “Go!”
  4. Based on your browser’s default behavior, a file will be available for you to open or download.

Wis. Stat. 118.197 requires that DPI issue a provisional license to an individual who meets all of the following requirements:

(1) Notwithstanding s. 118.19 (4m), (6) to (9), and (12) to (14), the department shall grant an initial license to teach to an individual who is eligible for licensure under s. 118.19 (4) and (10) and who satisfies all of the following:

(a) The individual possesses a bachelor's degree.

(b) The individual successfully completed an alternative teacher certification program operated by a nonstock, nonprofit organization described under section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code that satisfies all of the following criteria:

1. The organization operates in at least 5 states.

2. The organization has been operating an alternative teacher certification program for at least 10 years.

3. The organization requires candidates to pass a subject area exam and the pedagogy exam known as the Professional Teaching Knowledge exam to receive a certificate under the alternative teacher certification.

The American Board for the Certification of Teacher Excellence (ABCTE) is currently the only certification program that meets all of the requirements in this statute.  For information on their program, please go to  



Educators who have completed an ABCTE licensure program and wish to apply for a Wisconsin teacher license will submit an Out-of-State [1025] application with the following documentation:

Educators may use the ABCTE Application Checklist to ensure they have obtained all necessary documentation and are submitting the correct application.