You are here

Professional Teaching Permits

DPI is currently receiving a high volume of contacts for assistance.  The four most common topics of discussion are:

Latest Licensing News

Help with WAMS IDs

Before you can submit an application to DPI, you must register for a Web Access Management Systems (WAMS) user ID.

How to set up a WAMS account

Already have one or more WAMS accounts?

How to start your WAMS account recovery:

Perform a WAMS account recovery for all emails you have. Enter your email address but do NOT enter your User ID to start your WAMS account recovery. Once in the account recovery process you will be prompted to change your password. After you change your password you will be told in parentheses what your correct User ID is. Please make note of that before you terminate the account recovery session. Once you have recovered all WAMS accounts you have, login to ELO with each of your accounts individually. If you can see your licenses, you are logging in with the correct WAMS account. If you are taken through the Onboarding process again, you are not using the correct WAMS account and should try another account.

If you encounter errors in the WAMS account recovery process, please contact WAMS directly.  DPI is unable to help with WAMS recovery because the system is used by many state agencies and is run by the Department of Administration:

Candidate Profile

  • Professional with a Bachelors degree in:  Engineering, Math, Science, Computer Science, Art, Music, or World Languages.

    • Engineer can get a math permit, science permit, or technology education permit
  • 5 years of experience as a professional in the subject area in which the bachelor’s degree was awarded
  • Seeking a permit to teach in a Wisconsin school district in one of these shortage areas

Seeking a permit to teach in a school district with an identified shortage area need?

People who fit this pathway profile are professionals who hold a Bachelors degree from an accredited college or university in Engineering, Math, Science, Computer Science, Art, Music or World Languages. These professionals must also have 5 years of experience as a professional in the subject area of their bachelor’s degree. Upon completing at minimum 100 hours of formal instruction in the application of modern curricula and passing the subject specific content tests, an individual is permitted to teach. This pathway is designed for school districts seeking to fill shortage areas with experienced content professionals.

Download a PDF version of the video.

If you fit this permit pathway profile:

  1. DETERMINE your eligibility and follow the steps identified here:
  1. REVIEW the additional information provided below to learn more about training programs.
  2. APPLY for a Wisconsin Permit using the Educator Licensing Online (ELO) System.



Applicants for the Professional Teaching Permit must successfully complete at minimum 100 hours of formal instruction in the application of modern curricula in the subject area, from a Wisconsin DPI-approved alternative training program. The following chart details contact information for program providers that can provide the training. The training will vary in total hours and configuration. Contact the provider directly to learn more about their training and to enroll.


Program Providers Contact Program Website

eduCATE - WI

Mariah Kaiser
CESA 7 TDC Alternative Licensure Program 

Colleen Timm
CESA 1 PBL Proficiency-Based Licensure Program Dawn Rice
MTEC - Milwaukee Teacher Education Center

Gretchen Kroll
act! - Alternative Careers in Teaching

Michael Beeth