You are here

Seeking a Pupil Services License

Latest Licensing News Blog

Important Notice


Educators with an invalidated Life or Lifetime license have until December 31st to revalidate their license.  Upon approval of the $45 Request Background Check - Lifetime Licensee [5900] application, the Lifetime license will be revalidated just as if the educator completed the application before June 30th. Educators will have until December 31st to complete this application for their license to be revalidated. 

For older blog posts, please see the Latest Licensing News blog.


Candidate Profile

  • Bachelor's degree, or
  • Master's, Education Specialist, or Doctorate degree,
  • Seeking licensure as a: School Social Worker, School Psychologist, School Counselor, School Nurse

Seeking a Pupil Services License?

People who fit this pathway profile are college graduates who already have a bachelor's degree and are returning to a college/university to pursue a career as a pupil services professional. Candidates seeking a school social worker or school counselor license are required to complete a master's degree. Candidates seeking a school psychologist license are required to complete an education specialist or doctorate degree. Candidates must complete the approved pupil services preparation program specific to the license they are seeking at a Wisconsin college/university. Upon completion, the Wisconsin college/university will endorse the candidate for Wisconsin license.

If you fit this pathway profile:

  1. DECIDE what pupil services licensure you are interested in.
  2. IDENTIFY the Wisconsin college/university approved to prepare pupil services professionals for the Wisconsin license you are seeking using: Find a Prep Program
  3. CONTACT the college/university directly to learn about their programs and enrollment. Here is Contact Information for Approved Educator Preparation Programs.
  4. COMPLETE the degree requirements.
  5. COMPLETE all the requirements of the approved pupil services licensure program.
  6. APPLY for a Wisconsin Initial Educator License using the ELO System.

If you completed a Pupil Services program outside Wisconsin, use the Out-of-State pathway.