You are here

Trade Specialist Permit Pathway

Lifetime Licenses Created

Important Notice

As required in the 2017-18 state budget, conversion of current Professional and Master Educator licenses to Lifetime licenses is complete.  If you wish to print a copy of your Lifetime license, please follow the four numbered steps below:

  1. Access your ELO Account
  2. Navigate to the “Manage Your Existing Licenses” section of the Quick Start Menu
  3. Choose “Print license certificate” from the drop down menu and click “Go!”
  4. Based on your browser’s default behavior, a file will be available for you to open or download.

Candidate Profile

  • Completed an apprenticeship program and 3 additional years of occupational experience in a particular trade area; or
  • Completed 4 years of institutional training in a trade area; or
  • Certified by the technical college system board to teach an industrial arts or similar subject
  • Seeking to fill a school district need in a specific trade area 

Seeking a permit to teach a specific trade area?

People who fit this pathway profile are individuals who have completed an apprenticeship and have three years of practical experience beyond the apprenticeship and have three years of practical experience beyond the apprenticeship, have four years of institutional training in the trade area, or have certification to teach the trade at a Wisconsin Technical College. This pathway is referred to as the Trade Specialist Permit pathway because it is limited to an applicant with significant training and experience in a specific trade area. The permit holder is limited to teaching only this specific trade to meet a district's needs. This process is for a permit only and does not lead to a degree or license.

Download a PDF version of this video.

If you fit this pathway profile:

  1. DETERMINE your eligibility and follow the steps identified in Trade Specialist Permit Pathway
  2. APPLY for a Wisconsin Permit using the Educator Licensing Online (ELO) System.