You are here

Information For Local Educational Agencies

DPI is currently receiving a high volume of contacts for assistance.  The four most common topics of discussion are:

Latest Licensing News

Help with WAMS IDs

Before you can submit an application to DPI, you must register for a Web Access Management Systems (WAMS) user ID.

How to set up a WAMS account

Already have one or more WAMS accounts?

How to start your WAMS account recovery:

Perform a WAMS account recovery for all emails you have. Enter your email address but do NOT enter your User ID to start your WAMS account recovery. Once in the account recovery process you will be prompted to change your password. After you change your password you will be told in parentheses what your correct User ID is. Please make note of that before you terminate the account recovery session. Once you have recovered all WAMS accounts you have, login to ELO with each of your accounts individually. If you can see your licenses, you are logging in with the correct WAMS account. If you are taken through the Onboarding process again, you are not using the correct WAMS account and should try another account.

If you encounter errors in the WAMS account recovery process, please contact WAMS directly.  DPI is unable to help with WAMS recovery because the system is used by many state agencies and is run by the Department of Administration:

Information for local educational agencies in Wisconsin, including school districts, charter schools, and Cooperative Educational Service Agencies (CESAs).

Licenses that Require Requests from Districts

  • Special Education Program Aide – License information for special education program aide.
  • Three-Year Substitute Permit – License information for short-term substitute teachers who did not complete an approved educator preparation programs.
  • One-Year Administrator License – License information for administrators who are hired before completing a state-approved educator preparation program in Administration.
  • License with Stipulations – License information for teachers and pupil services professionals who are assigned to work outside their licensure areas, or teachers and pupil services professionals who are hired before completing a state-approved educator preparation program.
  • Charter School Instructional Staff License – License information for teachers who are teaching at charter schools.

Licensing Resources

Promoting and Supporting the Profession

Professional Development Plan (PDP) Resources

Federal Grants and Requirements


  • WISEdash — where you can compare and explore statistics about Wisconsin public schools
  • Wisconsin Information Network for Successful Schools (WINSS) – Access to data analysis on student and school performance, best practices, and resources in school improvement including planning tools, professional development and community partnerships.