What Do Parents Contribute to the Action Team?
Including at least two or three parents and other families on your Partnership Team is a must.
- Parents offer an authentic "real-world view" to Action Teams striving to help children learn more.
- Children spend about 75% of their lives away from school, much of it with their families who are their children's most influential teachers.
Inviting parents to serve on the Action Team involves them as decision makers and creates a forum for school staff and all team members to hear about and respond to the insights, perceptions, and concerns parents have as they help shape the school's vision for learning.
- Mavis Sanders,Senior Advisor, National Network of Partnership Schools
- Strengthening the Role of Parents on the Partnership Action Team
- Ten Ways to Get Families on Your Action Team
- Partnership Roles Families Can Fill
- Family and Community Engagement Self-Assessment
- Web Scavenger Hunt on Family-School-Community Partnerships
- The Case for Parent Leadership, PowerPoint presentation (in pdf form) by Anne Henderson, Senior Consultant, Annenburg Institute for School Reform
Return to Online Toolkit main page