Pupil Count for Membership Pilot Program 22-23 SY: School Finance
PILOT YEAR (2022-23 SY):
SELECT LEAs and SIS VENDOR PARTICIPANTS ONLY
Wisconsin School Finance Portal (WiSFiP) - Pilot Project for 2022-23 SY - Pupil Count for Membership
In an effort to simplify the process of data collection for district personnel responsible for the PI 1563 pupil counts, DPI is launching the "Pilot Program for Membership Pupil Count Collection" (referred to more simply as 'Pupil Count') through WiSFiP. The pilot program is being tested during the 2022-23 school year.
What is Changing? Pilot Program for the 2022-23 SY - High Level Data Flow Of Collecting Membership Data Via Application Programming Interface (API)
The good news is LEAs will no longer have to manually enter their pupil counts! In the new WiSFiP process the only thing the LEA needs to do is enter the count of students qualified for membership using their SIS. Once data lands in WISEdata, an LEA gets to preview it before they publish to WiSFiP. The new module of the WiSFiP application will process counts pre-filled by DPI based on membership attributes submitted to WISEdata via the API. Attributes are as follows:
Student School Association:
1. Full-Time Enrollment: The full-time equivalent ratio for the student’s assignment to a school for services or instruction.
2. Enrollment Type Descriptor: Indicates how a student is enrolled at a school, whether as Primary, Coursework, or Membership.
- Note: PPP (Parentally placed private) enrollments are not counted in pupil count
Visit the Membership data element page for more details.
3. NEW - Residency Status Descriptor: An indication of the location of a person’s legal residence relative to (within or outside of) the boundaries of the public school attended and its administrative unit.
|R-OUTSIDEAGE||Resident-Outside age eligibility|
|R-HOME||Resident-Home Based private education/homeschool|
|NR-TW||Non Resident-Tuition waiver|
|NR-TP||Non Resident-Tuition by parent|
|NR-OUTSIDEAGE||Non Resident-Outside age eligibility|
|NR-OE||Non Resident-Open enrolled|
|Non Resident-Juvenile facility/jail|
|NR-HOME||Non Resident-Home Based private education / homeschool|
|Non Resident-Childrens hospital|
|NR-9-18ST||Non Resident-9-18 weeks special tuition|
4. Count Date Name Descriptors and Count Date Receiving Services Descriptor: The count date name for the student status (e.g., 3rd Fri Sept), and descriptors of student status on count dates.
|M-3FS||Third Friday of September (NEW)|
|M-2FJ||Second Friday of January - Membership (NEW)|
|M-1FM||First Friday of May - Membership (NEW)|
|P||Present, receiving services on the count day|
|A||Absent, receiving services on the count day|
|N||Not receiving services on count day|
5. Part Time Instructional Minutes: Instructional minutes for up to two classes for part-time students.
6. Student Education Organization Association: Resident LEA Reference / LEA ID: the district in which the student resides.
7. Student Program Association:
- Program Type: The type of program a student is associated with.
- The value for this field is Other.
- Program Name Descriptor: The formal name of the program of instruction, training, services, or benefits available through federal, state, or local agencies.
- The values for this field can be:
- Challenge Academy
- 5 year old Blended
- The values for this field can be:
|O||5 year old Blended|
What is the Relationship Between the WiSFiP Pupil Count Module, WISEdata enrollment count, and the PI 1563 Membership Count?
Different reports are collected to count enrollment and membership, but the most well known are PI 1563 and WISEdata. Both include data about students served both within school buildings and outside of school buildings, by district employees, and by third parties. Differences in the purposes of these two collections affect which students count for which districts, and whether - or how much - each student counts.
|WISEdata student counts||PI 1563 membership counts:|
Primarily used to meet federally-mandated accountability requirements
|Used as a basis for state aid payments under state law|
Enrollment type is currently collected via PI 1563 from both Choice and public schools. It indicates how a student is enrolled at a school (primary enrollment or non-primary). It has a variety of uses for collecting, reporting, and accountability purposes. Visit the data element page for more details on WISEdata Enrollment Type.
Enrollment for Pupil Count through the WiSFiP Pilot Program will only be collected by the 16 LEAs participating in the Pilot for the 2022-23 SY, and it will only be collected by public schools within these LEAs. At this time this data collection is not required from independent charter schools, Choice schools, and State agencies within the participating Pilot Program districts. County Children with Disability Education Board (CCDEB) has a separate report from the Pupil Count report.
For the WiSFiP Pupil Count Pilot Program, as per usual, enrollment will continue to be counted on the third Friday of September, as well as on the second Friday in January, whether an LEA is participating in the Pilot Program or not. Milwaukee schools will additionally collect enrollment on the First Friday of May.
Count Dates for Membership (a.k.a. Pupil Count):
- Third Friday of September (3FS)
- Second Friday in January (2FJ)
- First Friday of May (1FM) - Milwaukee Only
The most significant difference between Pilot Participants and LEAs using PI 1563 surrounding collecting enrollment type data for pupil count data will be the ease of collection in methods:
- For WiSFiP Pilot Program participants, the Pupil Count Module will allow DPI to pre-fill counts for most of the pupil count categories.
- For non-pilot schools/districts, the standard “steps” of the PI 1563 methods of counting will be used. PI 1563, the current method for pupil count, is a detailed, internet-based application accessed via the School Finance Reporting Portal which allows the DPI to collect information on pupil count, residency, and more.
Summary of Pupil Count: WiSFiP has 3FS, 2FJ, and 1FM pupil count summary pages. The pupil count summary is filtered by grade level categories.
- All the student counts under Part 1 (‘Students I am Counting’) + Resident Chapter 220 + Intra 220 counts are summed up to Total Pupil Count.
- Summary Count is the headcount.
- Actual FTE count is calculated by the School Finance team.
- For example, Part-time Home-based private education/homeschool is counted as 1 headcount even though FTE is not 1.
If you need further assistance, please submit a Help Ticket.
To provide feedback, click the "Submit Feedback About This Webpage" button below.