Roster (formerly CWCS) is an application within WISEdata for schools to submit course information, as well as data about students and teachers associated with the courses. Data will be entered in your student information system (SIS) and pushed to WISEdata.
Announcements and Updates
*Roster will be required for all schools and all grade levels except PK from 2018-19 forward due to expanded reporting requirements. There will be a snapshot in the 2018-19 SY on Dec. 10, 2019.
By submitting Roster data, schools are able to view their data in WISEdash for Districts dashboards for improvement planning and analysis, as well as for comparison purposes in future years. In addition, submitting Roster data allows DPI to pull a starter file for the Civil Rights Data Collection (CRDC) as we have done in prior years. This saves you significant time with that collection.
Training, Support, and Documentation Links
Training for the Roster collection will be limited to SIS vendor offerings, CESA trainings, and DPI video demonstrations of Roster functionality in the WISEdata Portal.
Roster Endpoints & Data Elements
Courses: This educational entity represents the organization of subject matter and related learning experiences provided for the instruction of students on a regular or systematic basis. Note - This endpoint is populated by DPI. Schools will use the Course listing created by DPI to select the appropriate course codes for submission.
Grading Periods: These represent the time span for which grades are reported. This is collected at the school level. Grading period information must be set up in the SIS and submitted to Roster as a first task before submitting any other information.
- Descriptor defines the name of the grading period during the school year in which the grade is offered (e.g., 1st cycle, 1st semester).
- Begin Date and End Date define the specific span of the grading period. These dates should belong to the school year for which the data is submitted. They are required fields.The End Date should always be later than or equal to the Begin Date.
- Total Number of Instructional Days define the Total days available for educational instruction during the grading period, such as 180. This is always an integer.
Sessions: These identify the prescribed span of time when an educational institution is open, instruction is provided, and students are under the direction and guidance of a teacher and/or educational institution administration. A session may be interrupted by one or more vacations. This is collected at the school level. Sessions must be set up second after Grading Period information is set up and submitted.
- School Year is a type reference that defines a particular school year for which Roster data is submitted, e.g., 2017 for this school year.
- Term Descriptor is an indicator for when the course is offered, e.g., first semester, first quarter, etc. This varies by district, school, and/or grade level.
- Begin Date and End Date are collected to define the specific time span of the term. These dates should belong to the school year for which the data is submitted. They are required fields. The End Date should always be later than or equal to the Begin Date, such as when a student has only a one-day enrollment to complete a competency test.
- Total Instructional Days are the total number of instructional days in the school calendar within the term. This is a required field. This can only accept positive integers.
- Reference the Grading Periods endpoint associated with the session calendar.
Course Offerings: This entity represents an entry in the course catalog of available courses offered by the school during a session. This is collected at the school level. Schools will be able to set up and submit Course Offerings data only once they submit Grading Period and Session information to Roster.
- Local course code defines the the LEA-assigned local code that identifies the organization of subject matter and related learning experiences provided for the instruction of students.
- Local course title defines the descriptive name given to a course of study offered in the school, if different from the Course Title.
- Reference the Sessions endpoint within the school year.
- Reference the Courses endpoint.
Class Periods: This entity represents the designation of a regularly-scheduled series of class meetings. The fourth task for schools to complete is to set up and submit Class Period information.
- Name defines the portion of a typical daily session in which students receive instruction in a specified subject (e.g., morning, sixth period, block period, or AB schedules). This value can by typed in as free text by the school.
- Reference the School Year endpoint.
Locations: This entity represents the physical space where students gather for a particular class/section. The location may be an indoor or outdoor area designated for the purpose of meeting the educational needs of students. This is collected at the school level. After setting up Class Periods, schools can set up and submit the Location information if it's known.
- Classroom identification code defines a unique number or alphanumeric code assigned to a room by a school, school system, state, or other agency or entity. SIS vendors and schools may default this value to ‘unknown’ if this code is not currently collected or maintained.
Sections: This entity represents a setting in which organized instruction of course content is provided, in person or otherwise, to one or more students for a given period of time. A course offering may be offered to more than one section. This is collected at the school level. Sections can only be set up and submitted once the above five endpoints (and their corresponding data elements) are set up and submitted to Roster. Sections will reference all of the above course information. Note, Sections must be set up prior to sending in student or staff section associations.
- Unique Section Code defines a unique identifier for the Section that is defined by the classroom, the subjects taught, and the instructors who are assigned.
- Sequence of Course is the number of the sequence when a Section is part of a sequence of parts for a course. If the course has only one part, the value of this Section attribute should be 1.
- Medium of Instruction Type defines the media through which teachers provide instruction to students and how students and teachers communicate about instructional matters, for example, technology-based instruction in classroom correspondence instruction, face-to-face instruction, virtual/online, distance learning center-based instruction, etc.
- Programs, such as Bilingual/ESL, World Language, and Dual Enrollment, will be collected here with a specific code set for each. Note - Only one program can be submitted through one section.
- Reference Class Periods endpoint.
- Reference Locations endpoint.
- Reference Course Offerings endpoint.
Student Section Association: This connects a student to a section and gathers information about the course in which the student is enrolled. Students must have an enrollment attached to the section and course data. Students are associated to a class through their WISEid and can only be submitted once all of the above course information is submitted, e.g., Grading Period, Class Period, Section, etc...
- Begin Date includes month, day, and year of the student's entry or assignment to the section.
- End Date includes month, day, and year of the withdrawal or exit of the student from the section.
- Reference Student WISEid endpoint.
- Reference Section endpoint.
- Reference Student School Association endpoint.
- Note - The begin and end dates on the student section association should fall within the enrollment period provided in the reference.
Staffs: This is another endpoint populated by DPI. Staff information will be pulled from WISEid.
Staff Section Association: This connects a staff member to a section and gathers information about the course with which the staff member is involved. Staff WISEids and Local Person IDs are collected from the WISEid application for use in Roster. A staff member must have both the WISEid and Local Person ID to be pulled in to WISEdata. Staff Section Associations are entered as the last Roster submission only after all the other course information has been set up and submitted.
- Classroom Position Descriptor defines the type of position the staff member holds in a specific class/section.
- Reference Staff WISEid endpoint.
- Reference Section endpoint.