Dear District Administrators,
The Department of Public Instruction is sharing news today regarding testing, accountability, and AP Exams.
Federal Testing and Accountability Requirements
The United States Department of Education announced flexibility will be provided to all states regarding the assessment and accountability requirements under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act, also known as the Every Student Succeeds Act.
The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI) will apply for a waiver from federal requirements to administer statewide assessments to all students, to make annual accountability determinations, and to identify schools for support and improvement, and to provide data on federal report cards for assessment and accountability information.
The DPI continues to work with Governor Evers’ office and legislature around suspension of state testing and accountability requirements.
Advanced Placement (AP) Exams
The College Board announced students will be able to take AP exams. From their website:
For the 2019-20 exam administration only:
- We are developing secure 45-minute online free-response exams for each course.
- The exam content will focus on what most schools were able to complete by early March.
- You will be able to take your exams on any device you have access to—computer, tablet, or smartphone. You will also have the option to write your responses by hand and submit a photo.
- Colleges support this solution and are committed to ensuring that AP students receive the credit they have worked to earn. For decades, colleges have accepted a shortened AP Exam for college credit when groups of students have experienced emergencies.
- We know that not all students have access to the internet or a device. We are working on solutions to help students get what they need to show their best work. If you need mobile tools or connectivity or know someone who does, you can reach us directly to let us know.
The department will keep you updated through these emails and DPI’s COVID-19 website. If you have any questions, please contact Jennifer Kammerud, Senior Policy Advisor, at firstname.lastname@example.org or me.