ContactDPI Media Line, (608) 266-3559
MADISON — State Superintendent Carolyn Stanford Taylor today congratulated eight Wisconsin schools that received National Blue Ribbon School honors from the U.S. Department of Education.
“Congratulations to our 2019 Blue Ribbon Schools,” Stanford Taylor said. “Students, teachers, families, educational support staff, school and district leadership, all of you can take pride in achieving this national honor, which recognizes schools' success for all students.”
Nominated by the state superintendent in January, the schools completed an application and underwent a national review process. Wisconsin’s 2019 Blue Ribbon Schools are:
- Bayfield Elementary School, Bayfield School District;
- Cedar Hills Elementary School, Oak Creek-Franklin Joint School District;
- Lakeview Technology Academy, Pleasant Prairie, Kenosha School District;
- Marcy Elementary School, Menomonee Falls, Hamilton School District;
- Star Center Elementary School, Lake Geneva J1 School District;
- Tiffany Creek Elementary School, Boyceville Community School District;
- Van Hise Elementary School, Madison Metropolitan School District; and
- Winneconne Middle School, Winneconne Community School District.
Nationwide, 362 schools will be recognized at the Nov. 14-15 awards program in Washington, D.C. Award winning schools honored in one of two performance categories based on Department of Public Instruction data. Exemplary High Performance Schools are among each state’s highest performing schools as measured by state assessments or nationally normed tests. Exemplary Achievement Gap Closing Schools are among each state’s highest performing schools in closing achievement gaps between a school's subgroups and all students.
Since its inception 37 years ago, the Blue Ribbon Schools Program has recognized more than 9,000 schools across all states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, the Department of Defense Education Activity, and the Bureau of Indian Education. The 50 private schools that will receive recognition this year were nominated for the program by the Council for American Private Education.
NOTES: Photographs and a brief description of the 2019 National Blue Ribbon Schools are available on the U.S. Department of Education Blue Ribbon Schools website, https://www2.ed.gov/programs/nclbbrs/awards.html.