Tuesday, November 9, 2021
ContactDPI Media Line, (608) 266-3559
MADISON — The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction will hold preliminary public hearing and comment period on a proposed permanent rule related to general updates in open enrollment procedures.
The proposed permanent rule, Clearing House Rule 21-082, seeks to update and improve the administration of Wis. Admin. Code Ch. PI 36. The proposed rule:
- Clarifies Ch. PI 36.04(3)(d) and (e) to specify that a student’s open enrollment application does not need to be guaranteed approval if special education services are not available in the nonresident school district.
- Clarifies Ch. PI 36.06(1)(b) to specify that a parent is prohibited from submitting multiple applications to the same nonresident school district for the same school year if their application has been denied.
- Conforms Ch. PI 36.06(1)(b) to recent changes in Wisconsin State Statute under 2021 Wisconsin Act 19 and specifies that applications to virtual charter schools do not count toward the three nonresident school district maximum.
- Creates Ch. PI 36.09 to specify that school attendance enforcement responsibility goes back to the resident school district after a pupil’s open enrollment is terminated.
- Clarifies Ch. PI 36.13(4) to specify that open enrollment transportation reimbursement claims submitted after July 15 of the school year in which transportation was provided will not be paid.
The DPI will hold the public hearing by teleconference only. Additional information on attending is provided below. Written comments received no later than the date of the hearing will be given the same consideration as testimony presented at the hearing.
A copy of the proposed rule is available on the department's Administrative Rules webpage or the Wisconsin Legislature Rules site. Written comments may be submitted in lieu of testimony online via the legislature’s webpage for submitting public comment. Questions or additional testimony may be sent by email to the department’s administrative rules coordinator.
WHAT: Administrative rules hearing
WHEN: 1 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 17, 2021
WHERE: Conference call only; Phone number: 608-620-9781; Conference ID: 653 411 268#