Title V, Part B, Subpart 2
Title V-B, Subpart 2, the Rural and Low-Income School Program (RLISP), provides discretionary funds to meet the needs of rural, low-income schools. Formula grants will be awarded to the state, which in turn will award subgrants to eligible school districts. In Wisconsin, funds will be awarded by formula based on student enrollment as determined by average daily attendance.
Funds received under the Rural and Low-Income School Program may be used for any activities authorized under:
- Title I-A (Improving Basic Programs Operated by local education agencies)
- Title II-A (Supporting Effective Instruction)
- Title III (Language Instruction for English Learners and Immigrant Students)
- Title IV-A (Student Support and Academic Enrichment)
- Parental Involvement Activities
In Wisconsin, funding is expected to be targeted at improving student achievement in reading and/or mathematics.
Who is Eligible to Apply
To participate in the RLISP, school districts must meet the following criteria:
- All schools within the district must be designated with an NCES locale code of 32, 33, 41, 42, or 43
- The district must have a poverty rate of 20% or more, as defined by the number of children ages 5-17 from families with incomes below the poverty level.
In FY13-14, 30 school districts were eligible in Wisconsin.
In FY14-15, 25 school districts were eligible in Wisconsin.
In FY15-16, 22 school districts were eligible in Wisconsin.
In FY16-17, 26 school districts were eligible in Wisconsin.
In FY17-18, 34 school districts are eligible in Wisconsin.
In FY18-19, 17 school districts are eligible in Wisconsin.
Amount of Funds Available
Total allocation for 2013-14 was $552,282.
Total allocation for 2014-15 was $499,825.
Total allocation for 2015-16 was $440,723
Total allocation for 2016-17 was $522,142
Total allocation for 2017-18 was $467,173
June 2018 update: The 2018-19 RLIS application will be available later this summer. Check back soon.
For more information:
Email Christine Tiedje, or call (608) 266-3706
Links to other grant information: